Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Recovery isn't working with combofix...please advise!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markedbyone

markedbyone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

I'm trying to run Combofix, and I followed the site's instructions. I downloaded the microsoft service pac 2 for my laptop, and tried to move it onto the combofix icon. However, instead of installing the program like the site instructions say it will, I get an error message saying "Boot Partition cannot be enumerated correctly". What in the world does that mean, and can I run Combofix nonetheless, or is this a serious problem? I apparently cannot run the windows service console, I tried to do it w/o Combofix and it still won't work. Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks, mark

Edited by markedbyone, 30 November 2008 - 11:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:58 PM

You should not be using Combofix unless
instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert.
It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to
be "used under the guidance and supervision
of an expert
", NOT for private use.
Using this tool incorrectly could
lead to disastrous problems with your operating
system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
Please read
Combofix's Disclaimer.

What issues are you having that led you to Combofix?
Please post as many details as possible. AFTER you post the information, your post will most likely be moved to the Am I Infected? forum, where someone will help you with removing your infection. Combofix will only be suggested if it's needed.
Do not make a seperate topic in Am I Infected? as this will lead to confusion when trying to help you-it's better to keep it in one place than to bounce around to different forums.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 December 2008 - 12:08 AM.

#3 markedbyone

markedbyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

I seem to have a lot of issue with my computer and was advised to run it by major geeks website as part of a cleaning process, along with several other scans, and then to upload the results so my computer can be fixed.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:13 AM

What issues are you having?
The best place for your topic is Am I Infected?

If you were advised to run Combofix from someone on Major Geeks, you have a choice to make.
Either stick with Major Geeks to help you, or work with someone here at Bleeping Computer.

Please let us know if you want BC or Major Geeks to help you with this. If you decide to let someone here at BC work with you, I'll ask that your topic be moved. You will need to post details of your issues so the team here will know what they are dealing with.

If you want to stick with Major Geeks, I'll put out a call for someone who knows more than I do about Combofix to look at your post and advise you concerning what you need to do to get it working.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 December 2008 - 12:18 AM.

#5 markedbyone

markedbyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

I understand. I hadn't found a real person yet at MG, and so I posted over here since the program originates here. I will try to post to MG and get the help, and if they cannot help me I will be back, since I don't want to waste your time on this site. I appreciaet your help, thanks.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:32 AM

First of all, you would not be wasting anyone's time here. BC all about HELPING others.
When it comes to possible malware issues, no matter where you seek help, it is always best to find the appropriate forum and post your issues. Good luck with getting yours resolved.
If you decide you'd rather stay here, let us know and your topic will be moved.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 December 2008 - 12:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users