Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP with recovery CD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pieguy288

pieguy288

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:13 AM

Hey everyone,

My computer wasn't running properly lately, it would sometimes go slow and freeze up a few times so since i had mostly everything backed up on a second drive I decided to reformat and install windows XP home again using the recovery CD. I tried a bunch of times to do this and some files wouldn't get copied but finally all the files were copied but when the setup screen appeared a "fatal error' message showed up saying the file "D:\1386\....." (i wrote down the whole thing if you want to see it) so I went online and looked for info on this.
People said to install my old CD ROM and try it again, well I did that and the same thing happens. I have new RAM in there also, I'll try it again today using the old RAM, can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pieguy288

pieguy288
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:18 AM

sorry i wasn't clear:

a "fatal error' message showed up saying the file "D:\1386\....." (i wrote down the whole thing if you want to see it) IS NOT VERIFIED or something like that.

#3 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

changing Memory, and installing windows has caused me lots of headaches. Everything would seem to go ok, and then boom - freeze, or an error.

I am pretty sure you are experiencing the same thing...

Do you have two different speeds (or even brands) mixed? or does your board have 2, 3 or 4 slots...check your boards specifications, it might be that if you have a larger stick of RAM that your board requires it in a specific slot (or your board may require the memory to be installed in sets of 2)
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#4 pieguy288

pieguy288
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:14 AM

I put in the old memory and it worked finally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users