Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal to Monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TJN66

TJN66

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Good Evening Everyone~

I was surfing the web and found this site. I did do a search but couldnt get anything to come up with my particular problem.

My pc was working fine friday night then saturday when I turned it on I got a no signal message on my monitor. The pc starts up and I hear/see the fans moving. There is a green and a red light on the mother board but no picture. I have changed monitors (works fine on other pc), cords (again works fine), video cards (unable to tell as I cant dowload the new drivers), power supply(upgraded from a 250 to 500) but still no picture.

Any idea what could be wrong? I am taking it to the shop Monday but wanted some input before I do. I am thinking that the only thing left is the motherboard and or cpu. How far off base am I? Good grief..and right before Christmas too.

Thank you so much. We are very frustrated. As this is my gaming pc..I am having serious withdrawal. Have not been able to play on my 4 day weekend..bleh!

Tammy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

If you change the video card in a computer, regardless of the fact that Windows will not have the correct drivers to match the card, the monitor should still show you the POST display screen, and you should be able to press the correct key and enter the BIOS setup screen. If a (working) replacement video card still provides no signal to the monitor, the fault is caused by something else.

Do you hear the single beep that the POST issues when the equipment check is successfully completed? If not, then it appears the computer cannot start up. This can be caused by various faults, but one easily solved is if something like a static zap has scrambled the CMOS memory settings. If you haven't already tried this, most motherboards have a jumper to clear the CMOS settings - it is usually located near the CMOS backup battery on the motherboard (typically a silver coin-type Lithium battery), and may be labelled something similar to CLR_CMOS. With the system disconnected from the mains, the jumper is moved for a few seconds from its current position to bridge the adjacent pin, then returned to its original position. Some boards require you to remove the CMOS backup battery for a period of time to achieve the same result. For more precise detail, refer to user instructions for your computer or motherboard.

If this procedure restores your system to a bootable condition, you may then need to enter the BIOS setup screen and select options like the desired boot order for devices.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 freedomwins08

freedomwins08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

this problem seems epidemic, I have a similar problem. I wonder whats going on.

#4 TJN66

TJN66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

I had it looked at today. My motherboard is fried. Hope that's not what yours is Freedomwins08.

Tammy

#5 freedomwins08

freedomwins08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I hope not, cant afford much these days to buy a new one =(

How can I tell if its fried?

#6 UBMuggle2

UBMuggle2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

I had it looked at today. My motherboard is fried. Hope that's not what yours is Freedomwins08.

Tammy

I had a similar item happen to my grandmother's pc in TX. I live up here in New England and when she called I instantly took her through the whole start in safe mode with networking start in safe mode and so on. My final conclusion came to be that her hard drive was fried, when she would get it to start and it would loop back to the no signal screen. I told her to take it to the pc repair guy down her street. He too diagnosed it as being a hard drive issue and replaced it, now it works just fine......not too expensive to fix, go to www.NewEgg.com

Edited by UBMuggle2, 09 January 2009 - 10:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users