Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu partitions?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 somenoob

somenoob

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

Hi guys
I attempted to install Ubuntu-8.04? The latest one but when it gets to the bit where you create a partition for Ubuntu to be used in I get confused. I managed to make a partition but Ubuntu wouldn't let me continue, told me to specify a system root. Also the partition I made took up most of my hard drive and now I can't access it. Anyone know of a good partition manager to remove the extra partition while I'm here?
Cheers in Advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

If I remember correctly from when I installed Ubuntu, you have to specify a partition to be the root partition (ext3 I believe) and specify an extra little partition to be the "swap" partition.

When you attempt to install Ubuntu you *should* be able to remove the partition you create and start again. Alternatively, you can use GParted to partition your drives, but it's a pretty similar (if not the same) program as the partitioner Ubuntu uses.

Are you using the command-line or graphical installer for Ubuntu?
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 somenoob

somenoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Ah OK. I think I get it now. A friend of mine just said the same thing. There was an option to remove it but it was grayed out. Will GParted remove partitions that windows can't see?
I'm using the graphical installer, tried the GRUB but I don't understand enough to use it.

#4 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

Yeah, GParted should be able to see everything, to use it you burn the image to a CD like Ubuntu. It should have the same visibility as Ubuntu did as far as I know.
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 somenoob

somenoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:07 AM

OK I'll give it a shot. I'm trying out Ramesh too just to see if it can pick it up. Cheers!

#6 h3llh0l3

h3llh0l3

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

Ah OK. I think I get it now. A friend of mine just said the same thing. There was an option to remove it but it was grayed out. Will GParted remove partitions that windows can't see?
I'm using the graphical installer, tried the GRUB but I don't understand enough to use it.

The simplest way to install any linux distro is by creating a root(/) partition of ext2,etx3(i prefer) and a swap partition of size 1.5 times that of your RAM.
Now as I understand from above you are unable to boot into linux? If this being the case I would suggest you reinstall ubuntu and when you get to the partitioning point create the 2 partitions mentioned above. That should be it. And also make sure that your root partition's bootable flag is set to "on".(The option shows up in the list). Hope this helps.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

Slightly off topic here but you can make Windows recognize ext3 volumes using extIFS for Windows.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

Big thanks AA!!! Been looking all over for that one and having no luck finding it.

Posted Image

#9 somenoob

somenoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

I still can't make anything work. My external has an issue that causes creation of partitions to fail so I guess its get a bigger internal or a new external before I try it out peoperly. Unless there's a program that can fix errors like that? I tried the seagate tool but they were useless.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

You could try using the Partition Manager tool available when using the LiveCD version of Ubuntu. It's actually gparted (an excellent partition manager) and should be able to remove the offending partition.

If all you need to do is specify the root partition for the Ubuntu installer, though, I recommend reading this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/inst...rtitioning.html

Setting the root partition is not as scary as it sounds. It's just a matter of deciding where Ubuntu should live and marking the partition appropriately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users