Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tama Character 1.0 (Character.exe)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Character.exe

Character.exe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

Summary: i can't delete the Tama Character 1.0 program from my computer.

Last year around about January, this website called: www.tamatown.com (for the toy: Tamagotchi) and they were having an anniversary for the Tamagotchi. And for the anniversary, you could download for a limited time: a Tamagotchi character for your computer. I thought it would be cool, so I downloaded it. I didn't like it because when you log on to your user, it changes your background to one of the Tamagotchi backgrounds that came with the character. So, instead of removing the program-stupid idea-I deleted the background for it, thinking it would stop it from changing my background. It didn't stop; instead of changing it to a Tamagotchi background it changed the background to the background colour that was selected in the "Display" menu (in the control panel) even if you weren't using the background colour as your background.

So after this kept happening, I decided to go to the "Add or Remove Program" menu to remove. So I scrolled down to the program with the Tamagotchi symbol beside it (a golden Tamagotchi with a green screen and a dark blue jagged border around the screen) titled: Tama Character 1.0. I went to the "Change/Remove" Button and clicked it. A gray window appeared like its supposed to. The window had a Question mark symbol on the left hand side and at the bottom, their were: "Yes" and "No" buttons. The problem though, is that their was no question. The only words were "Yes" and "No". The window didn't even have a title in the silver bar at the top. I figured it was asking: "Are you sure you wanna remove this program?" so I clicked" Yes".

When I clicked: "Yes", another gray window appeared; this time it had a picture of a computer, with floppy disks, CDs and the Earth on the left hand side. On the right hand side was the phrases/words/names: Shared program files..., Standard program files..., Folder items..., Program folders..., Program directories..., and Program registry entries...; and beside them were small dark gray boxes. The words were in a list and underneath them was a indented rectangle (which is probably a loading bar). At the bottom of the box was two buttons which read in light gray: "Details" and "OK". Check marks appeared in the dark gray boxes beside the word and the word "OK" on the one button changed from light gray colour to black. And when I clicked "OK" the box closed and nothing happened. The Tamagotchi character was still there.

---

The box without a question appears every time I log on to my user now; when I click "Yes" the same thing happens that happened in the paragraph above this one. And the same thing happens that happened in the paragraph above this one and the paragraph above it when I click the "Change/Remove" Button for this program in the "Add or Remove Programs" Window.

So I need some help to delete this program from my computer. Please and Thank You.

P.S. - I wrote in past tense only because I was telling you what happened as a story.

P.S.S. - The program is called: Tama Character 1.0, the size is approximately 2.06MB and it is a: Character.exe

P.S.S.S. - Also when I close the program (The Tamagotchi Character it appears as an icon on the task bar beside the clock) A window appears that says that Windows is experiencing problems, and it asks me if I want to "Send" the Problem Report or not. At the top of the is window it calls the program: Character.exe.

Final Thoughts: Lastly I forgot to mention the program also creates a Tamagotchi character that appears at the bottom right hand side of the screen, which follows your mouse with its eyes. And when you right click the golden tamagotchi floating beside the Tamagotchi character, a list appears that gives you actions for it (When you click one like "laugh" the Tamagotchi does what it says). Below those actions it has options for window behavior (Whether you want it above or below windows).

Thank You for your interest in my problem. I hope you can help me. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

Use the Search function and see if you can locate the program's folder. If you have it, open it and look for an uninstaller.
You might have to reinstall the program, then use Add/Remove Programs
To keep it from running, you can download Codestuff Starter:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html
If it's listed in the application, tick the box by it and at least it won't run at Startup
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Character.exe

Character.exe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

:thumbsup: I searched it Three times, and there is NO folder called: Tama Character 1.0. :flowers:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

Looking at the download page...no information, by Unknown...I would have to suspect that it's possibly malware, since there doesn't seem to be much evidence it's anything else.

If I wanted to weed it out...I would start in the registry and worry about files afterwards.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Also look for anything labeled Bandai or Aki Maita
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users