Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the easiest way to block certain web pages?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

I'm using Firefox and I think there used to be a FireFox Add on that would allow you to block web pages but I can't find it. Any ideas how I can block my browser from viewing a certain myspace profile? I don't want to look at my ex's profile but my browser sometimes insist if you know what I mean :huh: Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

I don't think Firefox includes a website blocking tool by default. There are add-ons for Firefox that will do it, like BlockSite.

3939.png

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

* Modify the HOSTS file, which will block access to the site no matter what browser is used.

* Some firewalls have the option to block websites. Which do you use?

* Download an extension such as Adblock. It's designed to block in-site ads, but can also block websites.

* If you use a router there may be an option to block websites through there.

* Or you could use ProCon Latte (which is a content based blocker, but i bet you could figure a way to use it to block that page)

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 01 December 2008 - 09:35 AM.

#4 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:08 AM

I don't think Firefox includes a website blocking tool by default. There are add-ons for Firefox that will do it, like BlockSite.

I installed this plugin and now Firefox is all messed up. Certain things are blocked (eg, certain myspace profile pictures are blocked even thought I didn't block them) I uninstalled the plugin and disabled everything and even unisntalled and reinstalled firefox but still certain photos are blocked.

Any suggestions? Thanks

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:47 AM

I've never used BlockSite, so I cannot tell you how to go about fixing it. When reinstalling Firefox, did you uninstall it, then remove its directory before reinstalling? Firefox may reinstall the add-on if it remains on the PC. Does internet explorer (or whatever other web browser you have) open everything normally?

3939.png

#6 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

I've never used BlockSite, so I cannot tell you how to go about fixing it. When reinstalling Firefox, did you uninstall it, then remove its directory before reinstalling? Firefox may reinstall the add-on if it remains on the PC. Does internet explorer (or whatever other web browser you have) open everything normally?

Yes I did uninstall the plugin and Firefox then reinstalled Firefox without BlockSite but firefox is still acting as if the plugin is still there even though it's not. Internet explorer works just fine.

#7 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

Ok, I got it. Firefox does have a an option with settings to block images etc. It's part of the browser not a plugin. If you right click on an image using Firefox there's an option to block it. Jut thought I let you guys know. Thanks

Edited by MyCompterSucks, 15 December 2008 - 02:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users