Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Antivirus2009

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bangert

bangert

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

Hi, i'm new to the forums, so hi to everyone.

Basically, i'm trying to sort my neices computer out which has the Antivirus2009 virus/malware/spyware on it. The computer in question is running XP SP3.

I ran avira and it found a few files and deleted them, files never returned which was good. Googled the program in question and found the details on manually removing the said infection. Found the registry keys, files, folders etc and deleted them. So i thought all was good, well it's not!!!!!!!!

Before i removed these files, whenever i tried to go onto say malwarebytes website, avira, avg it would redirect me to some dodgy antispyware site. Now firefox and ie7 just say there is an error in connecting to the website (it lets me onto other non anti-virus/spware sites). So the files i removed have helped somewhat, but something is still there preventing me from going to these websites.

So i downloaded malwarebytes onto my laptop and transfered it to the infected computer to install it but the computer won't let me install it, same with spybot search and destroy, avg. Avira already on the computer won't update. Also system restore refuses to work. So something is still there.

I'm really baffled, i'm in the process of backing up the personal files on the computer and doing a clean install, but thought I would see if anyone here would have any ideas???

Thanks in advance, hope you can help!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Let's see if we can get an online scanner to work. This is Windows Live Onecare:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
You can also try renaming Mbam.exe to somethingelse.exe and see if Malwarebytes will work that way
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bangert

bangert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

thanks for the advice, i tried renaming the program, it let me install, but then the program won't run, also the onecare online scanner won't work.

I'm going to do a fresh install as my neice really needs her computer back. Bit of a bugger this one. thought i had it sorted but obviously not. I've backed all of her files up so not to much of a probelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users