Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Computer Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

My dads computer is a gateway computer it went out and he gave it to some guy. the guy replaced the motherboard we got it back and it ended up messing up soon after then he brought it to someone else he told the guy it was a gateway computer. so i think he put a gateway operating system on it. we got it back and now its not working its doing some werid things.

With the new motherboard in it is it ok for me to just install a windows XP OS?

Could i just install it and reinstall all the drivers and be fine?

I think im right and i can just do this but you break it you rebuy it you know lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

No such thing as a Gateway operating system, there's only MS Windows...which is a tad modified by Gateway on the systems that it sells (but the O/S is basically Windows with some junk added).

What's wrong with the system...specifically...as you see it now?

Do you have Gateway restore/recovery CDs?

Do you have a MS XP CD, with valid license?

Depending on what is viewed as being wrong with the system...and what is actually wrong...yes, you ought to be able to install a legal copy of Windows, then add drivers...and have a working system (if there are no hardware problems).

What model Gateway is it? What motherboard was put in as a replacement?

Louis

#3 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

That is just it the first guy we gave it to had to put a new case on and didn't give us the model id on it so i don't know what gateway model it was.

The new motherboard is a GIGABYTE S-Series supports amd socket AM2.

and also we have lost the cd of the gateway OS.

The computer OS has been doing some weird things. I was not on it but the person that was said that it was fixing its self or something. When it was done doing whatever it was doing and the desktop loaded up windows explorer was missing and when you go to start all of the icons on the left were deleted and i think still are deleted.

I went to the desktop by clicking on my computer and then backing up to the desktop and internet explorer was there.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

You can do the install of XP...but before you do that, I suggest trying a couple of other procedures.

Since you have an XP CD...use it to access the Recovery Console, following the link below.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp....very%20Console: Scroll down to section titled How To Access Recovery Console and follow instructions there. When it asks which Windows installation, type in the numeral 1 and hit Enter. When the password prompt comes up, just hit Enter.

Then type (exactly as depicted) chkdsk /r (note the space between the k and /r). Hit Enter.

Allow the system to complete the procedure.

Louis

#5 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Before the computer messed up it still wasn't working right.
I think i would rather just reinstall a OS.

If it wasn't working before would you agree that i should just reinstall it?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Well...I like to get close enough to the reason why something doesn't work...that I don't wind up replacing the wrong thing or conducting the wrong procedure.

Example: If I have a memory or hard drive problem...clean installing XP may become/be an impossibility, no matter how many times I try.

It's up to you...if you don't want to take the time to investigate. It's not my system and I can't tell you what you should do, only what I would do.

If you do a clean install, you will need to go to the Gigabyte website, look up your motherboard model...and download all drivers (video, audio, USB, NIC, etc.) that apply to that board and XP...and install same shortly after XP is installed. Of course, a clean install will delete everything currently installed on that system, so you need to be sure that's what you want to do before regretting your actions.

There are several Gigabyte S-series boards, so you will have to be more specific when you look for drivers at that site.

FWIW: Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#7 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

Ok thank you for your words of wisdom hamluis.

i will try to just skip the full investigation for now. hopefully i can just clean it and it will work after i reinstall all the drivers. if it doesn't end up working i would like to ask for your help again,

thank you very much

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users