Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran into a problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:35 PM

Just today I installed my old graphics card into the pc I'm using now. It has any extra pci-e slot, so I disabled the card I already have in this pc(8800gt 512mb) to use the old one(6200 256mb turbo cache). After testing out the old card, I uninstalled it and enabled the other card. Only to find out after playing Joint Operations, my frames are fine and stay the same(everything runs smooth), but every 20 secs or so I get a quick freeze and my cpu will jump up from 8-15, then will drop back to 0 and repeat like that. I reinstalled joint ops and punkbuster, but with no avail . I reinstalled pb and thought that may be the problem, but was still happening. So now I'm just trying to figure out what to do here.

When installing the older graphics card, I'm sure nothing inside the case with touched or shifted, but who knows I might of moved something maybe even a little bit to have this happen. I was thinking it was the graphic card drivers at first, but after updating them, I'm not so sure.

Thanks

Edited by Lloyd Christmas, 30 November 2008 - 02:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

When you say "uninstalled it", did you uninstall the drivers for it too? I'm not real up on graphics cards, but there are a couple of people here that are and I'm sure they can come up with something else.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

When you say "uninstalled it", did you uninstall the drivers for it too? I'm not real up on graphics cards, but there are a couple of people here that are and I'm sure they can come up with something else.. :thumbsup:

Yeah I went to System>Hardware>Device Manager>Display Adapters>Clicked uninstall on the 6200

When I installed the 6200, I didn't update the drivers for it, just opened the game up to test it. I downloaded Driver Sweeper, ran it and reinstalled the drivers again. That didn't seem to help anything though.

EDIT:I think I figured out what the problem is, I just totally removed the 8800gt from the case and installed the 6200. Went into a server and noticed I wasn't getting the quick freezes. So now the question is, how can I fix the problem with the 8800gt?

Edited by Lloyd Christmas, 01 December 2008 - 09:20 AM.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:55 AM

Try cleaning any dust out of your 8800gt.

Also, is it overheating any?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

I would try uninstalling the drivers by going to add/remove programs in windows xp or older, or programs and features in windows vista. Anything that says nvidia display adapter, uninstall. Then, with the 8800GT in, install the drivers for it.

Also, did you remember to plug the 6-pin power connector to the 8800GT?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users