Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless authentication settings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

Does anyone have a solution for this problem I am having. My daughter has a laptop that is running Vista. I have 2 other computers on a network that was set up with windows XP. It all runs off of a D-Link router. The laptop used to connect to the network through a wireless connection. My daughter asked me to reformat the laptop to original condition. I did this but I can no longer connect to our home network. I keep getting a message telling me to check the wireless authentication settings. They have been set up as before. What could I be missing? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

Have you checked the WEP/WPA/whatever key to ensure that it's correct?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

When formatted, the PC lost all of it's customization settings. Including the wireless keys, you must re-enter the keys. You only need to worry about authentication keys if you are connecting to a secure wireless network.

3939.png

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

You may also need to run microsoft updates, and driver updates.

Go to the manufacturer's website and find the drivers section (support or downloads) and find your make and model..

to check the versions of the drivers, in the control panel, choose "device manager" under "show all"

expand each piece of hardware, if it is listed on the manufacturer's website, and compare the versions of all the drivers listed, by double clicking on the hardware and selecting the driver tab.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Drivers are likely not an issue, Windows would have indicated through Windows Update if there were any recent ones available. Unless you have a graphics card or some other device that has frequently updated drivers, waiting for WU to provide new drivers is always best.

3939.png

#6 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

After I formatted the laptop hard drive I connected to the internet with a cable and installed all updates so that is not the issue. There seems to be something that I am missing and it has something to do with the authentication settings. I do not like Vista.

Dean

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

Who made your wireless card? I had a Netgear and it never worked right with Vista 64-bit. Netgear drivers were to blame.

3939.png

#8 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Does anyone have a solution for this problem I am having. My daughter has a laptop that is running Vista. I have 2 other computers on a network that was set up with windows XP. It all runs off of a D-Link router. The laptop used to connect to the network through a wireless connection. My daughter asked me to reformat the laptop to original condition. I did this but I can no longer connect to our home network. I keep getting a message telling me to check the wireless authentication settings. They have been set up as before. What could I be missing? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

I just went through a similar issue. Read my solution at the bottom of this tread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/183410/unable-to-connect-to-router-after-resetting-it/

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

When connecting with a cable there are no issues with security - it's only when connecting wirelessly that the issues will show their ugly face.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

check to see that you have the right encryption type (wpa vs wpa2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users