Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP not booting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spastank

spastank

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:50 AM

Hello!
My windows Xp Professional SP2 doesn't want to boot.
I've tried everything related to this problem that I saw in the forum.
I tried to install the recovery console,as described in one of the topics,but no success.
It doesn't want to go to Safe Mode.
I ran the chkdsk command and it says that there are errors on the hard drive,but it didn't give me any error code or description of the errors.
I've got some progress now,when I put the manufacturers CD in the drive it says: "The file 'asms' in Windows Xp Professional SP2 is neccessary. Please enter the directory of the file"( This is translated from another language and maybe the prompts sound different in english).
I guess the problem is malware related,because I was experiencing problems wit Trojan Vundo.
What should I do,to start this computer without losing any data?
Thank you!
Spas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:32 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Take a read: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2008 - 09:32 AM.

#3 spastank

spastank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

I red that,but I also want to know how to save the data that is on my drive D.I don't think that any information is lost yet,because when I ran the chkdsk it shown the available memory and the memory used. After I exited the recovery console it shown me that message.
Thanx.
Spas

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

<<...but I also want to know how to save the data that is on my drive D.>>

I guess that I don't understand, but...

What is this drive D: that you mention? How is it connected?

More importantly...what is the connection between drive D: and attempting to solve the situation you outlined in your initial post? How many hard drives are connected to this computer...and what partitions exist on those drives?

Louis

#5 spastank

spastank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

The computer is DELL Optiplex GX520 ,Processor Type-Intel Pentium 4,CPU 3 GHz.
The"Drive D" is my secondary hard drive,where the most important(for me) data is.
As I understood from the link that you mentioned ,the hard disk is supposed to be formated,and nothing can be done.
I just want to save the files on my secondary hard drive D,but I don't know how to do it.
Thanx again!
Spas

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Dell restore/recovery partitions and how they work...but others here do.

FWIW: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

Hold on for suggestions from others.

Louis

#7 spastank

spastank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

Thank you for your help!
If somebody else have any other suggestions,please feel free to share it.
Thank you
Spas

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

The Dell Operating System disk is usually a full copy of XP - so you can run a repair installation from it if needed.

The data on the second drive should be safe - but it's always a good idea to backup.
If it's a separate drive, disconnect it before doing the repair. If it's just a separate partition, be careful!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

FWIW, you can (if you can find a computer with an internet connection and a burner) download ubuntu and burn the iso to a cd, then boot from cd, choose your language, and Select the first option DO NOT INSTALL, JUST RUN FROM CD!! You can then backup all necessary data to another drive... Full tutorial if needed

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users