Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IMAP and pst

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 okanem

okanem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:36 AM

Can anyone enlighten me to the basics.

Our company has been using Outlook 2000 to access pop3 email from an inhouse email / proxy server for the past three years. There are a few limitations to this system.

1. Users email is only accessable on their pc, i.e. once a user downloads their email to outlook, they can't access it on another pc (in office, at home or foreign) unless they use pcanywhere etc.

2. There is the constant problem of keeping pst files within 1gb by archiving on the users pc. This is time consuming to setup.

3. The archiving of email for legal reasons can't be centralised.

4. Backing up .pst files on users pc's is tough enough without having the added difficulty of backing up from a laptop user.

Ofcourse there are advantages of having a pop3 and pst configuration. Laptop users can take their emails home and view there.

Anyway, I have decided to try and centralise email using something other than exchange. I have installed a trial of MDaemon Mail Server v8.

I have reconfigured Outlook to Internet Only and created an account, but when I reopen Outlook 2000 all I get is the Imap inbox with whatever email is in it, along with all my pst folders including sent, tasks, drafts, contacts etc.

I am finding it difficult to understand the Imap Outlook setup therefore its difficult to explain.

What I want is to have Outlook the same as when we were using pop3 and pst, except all email stored centrally on 1 server where we can back it up, archive and search through it, but with the exception of laptop users who should be able to cache the inbox and folders to their laptops for working on when they are not connected while still keeping email central.

Can anyone help?

Rgds
Okanem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

See if the info here helps:

http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/olinet.htm

#3 okanem

okanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:13 AM

There is lots of info on here that I am looking for.

Rgds
Okanem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users