Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Staples Black Friday Sale

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

I am STEAMED about this purchase. I bought this laptop with full intentions of wiping the drive and installing XP - HOWEVER, it seems that HP and other manufactures decided to not develop drivers for the hardware in this product or I just cannot simply find them. I've narrowed it down to 3 drivers that I need - 1. VIDEO 2. AUDIO 3. WIRELESS NETWORK

I have tried many many different driver packs with absolutely no luck. Every video pack I have tried says it is not compatable with XP and the other drivers are just not right either.

Did anyone happen to purchase this and get it to work properly or know of a way to get these drivers to work properly? 1000 thanks for any replies.

M51

The Video is suppose to be NVIDIA GeForce GO 8200M, I'm not sure about the other two

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:55 AM

It would help a lot if you were to post what make and model this computer is. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

FWIW: No point in being steamed about something that has been fairly common practice for at least the last year or so.

http://askbobrankin.com/vista_to_xp_downgrade.html I suggest reading the sections on how to downgrade from Vista to XP.

Louis

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

I have run into this before. Some manufacturers are not supporting XP on certain boxes. Can't be done as there are no drivers available. Sorry.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

Most hardware, especially in inexpensive systems, is reused from model to model. As such, most systems can be converted to XP with a bit of work. With the increasing use of 64 bit OS's this may change.

To start with, we'll need to know if you're using 32 bit or 64 bit XP. I'll presume that you're using the 32 bit for the rest of this post.

There are 2 different graphics chipsets used:
- NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G Graphics Driver
- Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family Graphics Driver (32-bit)

Audio - I'm unsure about this, but suspect that the audio drivers are in the nVidia chipset drivers (NVIDIA nForce MCP77MV Chipset).

There are 3 different wireless chipsets used (not including BlueTooth):
- Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver
- Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers
- Atheros Wireless LAN Driver

The first question then is "Have you installed the chipset drivers?"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

Yes, I have installed the Chipset drivers and that took care of everything but the Video, Wireless, and a stray Audio driver (audio works, yet there is a stray component without a driver)

HP Tech Support has given me links to countless drivers to try (I have a feeling most are Vista drivers - I have tried about 3 different Broadcom drivers to no avail), and every Nvidia driverset I've tried has failed - it usually gives some sort of indication that the driver is not supported under Windows XP (and yes the video is NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G Graphics Driver)

Someone on another forum suggested I try to search with the Ven and Device ID numbers so I'm gonna give that a try and see if I get any luck

EDIT: This is not an "inexpensive" machine, although I might have got it for a great price, the hardware in it is fairly good, dual core with a great Video chip

#7 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

To search with Vendor and Device ID numbers the website is http://www.pcidatabase.com/ if anyone wants to check it out. Seems like a great way to look for drivers.

#8 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

I scoured the internet and with a little help from HP tech support managed to find all of the device drivers. I would be happy to upload them somewhere if someone has a place to put them so others don't have to have so much of a headache! Thanks and CHEERS!
M51

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

Links would work just as well, if not better...if you want to benefit someone else possibly looking for the same drivers.

Louis

#10 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, that's the problem - I had to try so many different drivers that when one worked I was so happy I just went on to looking for the next one. If anyone has this problem in the future send me a Private Message and I will be glad to help.

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

I scoured the internet and with a little help from HP tech support managed to find all of the device drivers.

Man, that's great! You have succeeded where I have previosly failed. My hat is off to you.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 chan23kim

chan23kim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, that's the problem - I had to try so many different drivers that when one worked I was so happy I just went on to looking for the next one. If anyone has this problem in the future send me a Private Message and I will be glad to help.

Dear Midnight51,

Great to know that you were able to install HP G50-109NR drivers for XP window system. I bought the same machine. I did install a dual booting with XP and Vista. Now I am searching for drivers for XP. Please send your driver or link to my gmail account at: EDITED BY STEVEALMIGHTY. Thanks.

Chan Kim.

EDIT: Please do not post your (or anyone's) email address. Your inbox will be inundated with more spam than you can shake a stick at. If you need to contact someone privately, please use the PM option(s) here on the forums. Please feel free to PM me with any questions! ~ stevealmighty

Edited by stevealmighty, 24 December 2008 - 05:42 PM.

#13 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:44 AM

Sure, you can download the complete package from this link - https://www.yousendit.com/download/TTZrT2pETSt6NEtGa1E9PQ - be aware that these drivers were extracted using a program called DriverMax and you might have trouble finding the right directory for a certain driver but I can assure you they are all there.

Also, this link will expire in 7 days from this time so get it while you can and let me know if you get it working
Good Luck
M51

Edited by midnight51, 07 December 2008 - 01:57 AM.

#14 chan23kim

chan23kim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Sure, you can download the complete package from this link - https://www.yousendit.com/download/TTZrT2pETSt6NEtGa1E9PQ - be aware that these drivers were extracted using a program called DriverMax and you might have trouble finding the right directory for a certain driver but I can assure you they are all there.

Also, this link will expire in 7 days from this time so get it while you can and let me know if you get it working
Good Luck
M51

M51, Thanks! It worked.

#15 tenazrael

tenazrael

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Good Luck
M51

M51, Thanks! It worked.

Hey guys, guess what. I need the same drivers too! midnight51, if you happen to still have the drivers, can you post a link to download them? Or if anyone knows what chipset or file types to download, that would be great so at least I know what to search for on the internet.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users