Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why no McAfee alert?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lynne2008

Lynne2008

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

Greetings, all -

A friend just called to say that her AdAware program found something called "win32.trojanclicker", and when she ran SpyBot it reported "Beast". We're looking around now to see if we can get it off ourselves using those programs, or if we will need some help. More on that later, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, here's my question:

In all the times I've had those or other programs report they've found malware on my or a friend's system, McAfee and/or Symantec was running -- and did not block the malware (which is supposed to be its purpose?), and when we ran a McAfee scan by hand, it never found anything wrong at all.

How can that be? It looks really weird that the freebie programs can find all this stuff, but the pay programs can't? Am I just imagining this? Or is McAfee really not looking?

Thanks -

Still-Learning Lynne :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hello Lynne.

First off, make sure all programs are updated.

The answer to "Why doesn't program *** detect infection *** when program *** does" is no single program is perfect. Further more, the different companies may have different definations as what constitutes as "bad".

A single incidence is not enough to say one program is better/worse than another.

Best way to stay protected is using a layered defece, like in this case.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

Hello Lynne2008
I have often asked myself the same question
When I purchase this computer in 2006 I also paid for and have kept the McAfee Security Center. I knew I was protected because right there in Security Center there is a big green check mark and next to that “ Am I protected? Yes” ( Well not quite) As I discovered last winter when I had a Malware attack. Although McAfee was not adequate to fully protect me I must say it did limit the damage. With the help of this forum I was able to eventually come out OK.
I have often wondered though if a company makes a product, any product, and you see a competitor do something different or better don’t you try to see where your product is lacking? I don’t understand why that is not the case with anti-virus or anti-malware products.
Since Malwarebytes , SAS and others seem like effective programs you would think that McAfee or Norton would license the software and incorporate the software with their product. Wouldn’t most non technical computer users jump at the chance to subscribe to a service that offered up to date, state of the art protection?
Just my thoughts.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users