Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have to upgrade from Adobe Reader 7 to Reader 9?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

I use IE6 and Firefox 3. Do I have to? What are the up's and down's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

Er...anyone?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

The usual resons for the upgrades are either product enhancement or to fix security flaws/ I'll try to take a look a bit later when I can and see what they actually are.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

http://www.doecirc.energy.gov/ciac/bulletins/t-020.shtml
T-020: Security Update for Adobe Reader 8 and Acrobat 8
November 6, 2008 14:00 GMT
Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Reader and Acrobat 8.1.2 and earlier versions. These vulnerabilities would cause the application to crash and could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
PLATFORM: Adobe Reader 8.1.2 and earlier versions Adobe Acrobat Professional, 3D and Standard 8.1.2 and earlier versions
DAMAGE: DoS and could potentiallly allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
SOLUTION: Upgrade to the appropriate version.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

Can I upgrade without downloading it from the Adobe website (so that I don't have to install the add-ons) or do I have no choice?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,886 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

It's been some time (July) since I installed the Reader. Best I remember, I downloaded and then went to Add/Remove and removed the "update installer" and another program they added that I don't remember the name of. The only thing showing now in Add/Remove is "Adobe Reader".
No big thing.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

So I should remove Adobe AIR, Acrobat.com and getPlus for Adobe?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,886 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

Yes, just leave the Adobe Reader in Add/Remove.

A suggestion--open Adobe Reader and click on EDIT, click on PREFERENCES, under the heading Application Startup, UNcheck CHECK FOR UPDATES

After removing the programs from Add/Remove you may still have a shortcut on your desktop for Acrobat.com. Right click on it and delete.

#9 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

OK, I'll work on that later.

Why do I have to uncheck check for updates?

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,886 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

You don't "have to". Unchecking will stop Adobe Reader from calling home every time it starts up. Since it seldom updates, just check once a month for updates. I don't recall Adobe updating since I installed it in July.

I use Secunia usually once a month after getting Windows updates to check all my programs. Works for me--might not work for you. Up to you to decide.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

#11 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Well, how about getPLus for Adobe? I've googled it and came back here telling me that it's a vital piece of the Reader.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,886 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:14 PM

See Post #9 in this link http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c059ad1

GETPLUS is a piece of BLOAT that Adobe adds to their products - In Other Words, it is NOT Necessary.

GetPlus = DELETE IT.

#13 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

OK, I've just updated.

But where's the Application Startup menu? It's not in Preferences...

I'll be uninstalling getPlus, please wait...

EDIT:

I've just uninstaled it from the Control Panel and the Firefox Add-on Manager. Hopefully, it didn't leave pieces of it...

Unfortunately, I didn't do this:

To totally get rid of it, open a COMMAND window in c:\Windows and CD up to "\Downloaded Program Files"

Do a DIR and find the file GP.INF - Open it and find LOCATION of GP.OCX.

Then DELETE GP.INF and find GP.OCX in the c:\Windows\System area of files and delete THAT as well.

When you are done open REGEDIT and locate any references to GP.INF or GP.OCX and delete THOSE as well.

I need some help and supervision on this one.

Edited by Lloyd T, 02 December 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,886 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE ME: "A suggestion--open Adobe Reader and click on EDIT, click on PREFERENCES, under the heading Application Startup, UNcheck CHECK FOR UPDATES"

Is that what you are asking about?? Once you have clicked on edit and preferences, just scroll down to the heading and beneath that will be Check for updates that you uncheck the box next to and then click OK at the bottom of the page to exit.

If you uninstalled Getplus using the Add/Remove program, that should be good enough.

#15 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

Ok, I've just disabled Check for Updates. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users