Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

automatic updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

okay, i was told some time ago that i shouldnt let microsoft tell me when when i should update my system, or let it do it automatically so ive never activated the automatic update...

now im wondering if i should turn it on and see whats available. im quite certain ive got SP2 on my xp pro set up. is there an SP 3?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

Yes, there is an SP3 and IE7 and updates beyond those even. You do not need to turn on Automatic Updates if you don't want, you can simply install them manually when it is convenient for you. Go to:

Start > All Programs > Windows Update (near the top of the list)

Reboot after installing updates, and then revist the update site until told there are no more updates.

EDIT: added last line to post.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 November 2008 - 07:12 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

SP 3 can be a bit buggy...so can Silverlight. I do XP Home SP 2 and IE 7 and keep up with my anti-malware and it runs quite nicely.

Edited by TSalarek, 08 December 2008 - 11:56 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

I have updates set to download but let me choose when to install them. This method allows you to continue working while they are being downloaded to your compter. When they finsish downloading, you can click on the download icon in the system tray and choose Custom. This will allow you to uncheck any you don't want to install.

#5 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

Almost forgot:

MS official schedule of WIN update/patch release is first tuesday of the month...though they have broken that once in a while...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users