Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous reboot loop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 missysv

missysv

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

My computer is in serious trouble and I hope someone here can help me! My computer is in a continuous loop of rebooting itself when it is trying to start up Windows. I cannot get it to Safeboot, last known good configuration or anything like that. I do have the Recovery Console but I don't know how to use it. Right before this started my AVG popped up that I had a virus. My computer did a reboot on its own and it hasn't started Windows since. I have gotten this when I disabled the auto restart: STOP c000021a it terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000) The system has been shut down. Please let me know what I need to do to get this fixed hopefully! This is a Gateway that is about 4 years old. Thanks for the help!

Missy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

My computer is in serious trouble and I hope someone here can help me! My computer is in a continuous loop of rebooting itself when it is trying to start up Windows. I cannot get it to Safeboot, last known good configuration or anything like that. I do have the Recovery Console but I don't know how to use it. Right before this started my AVG popped up that I had a virus. My computer did a reboot on its own and it hasn't started Windows since. I have gotten this when I disabled the auto restart: STOP c000021a it terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000) The system has been shut down. Please let me know what I need to do to get this fixed hopefully! This is a Gateway that is about 4 years old. Thanks for the help!

Missy

Hi,

That stop error sounds like inaccessible boot device, which could be possible if a virus did wipe the boot record from the drive. Also make sure that you do indeed have Windows XP Recovery Console (in my experience, some users get the Recovery Console and System Recovery options mixed up). Recovery Console is very crippled version of a Windows command prompt and System Recovery (when it actually works) restores your system to what it was when it came from the factory (usually nowadays by re-writing the operating system partition from the hidden system recovery partition).

Anyways, we want the first option, it should load and ask you to select which Windows to load, if you have only one OS, it should be the only one listed so you would select 1, you should now be asked for the system's administrator account's password (This is the password for the built in Administrator account), if it has not been set, press enter as it is usually blank anyway, if you do know the password, enter it in. If your successful, you will end up at a command prompt at the prompt type the following:

fixmbr [hit enter key]

chkdsk /r [hit enter key]

exit [hit enter key]

the system should reboot and hopefully it will work fine.

Note: if you can't get into recovery console (unknown password??) I do have a special DOS boot CD that will allow you to run the Windows chkdsk from regular DOS. It can be found on my site (see signature) and search for 'special boot cd'.

I won't post a direct link to it as that would likely be considered redundant.

Hopefully that will work for you.

Jeffrey

Disclaimer:

I am NOT a certified expert (yet), I did graduate college with an A.S. Degree in I.T. and have been working with computers since I was 11 years old and am fairly knowledgeable with Windows 2000/XP, I also volunteer on allexperts.com as a Windows XP expert and have helped a lot of users. Use my suggestions at your own risk. Most of my advice comes directly from past experiences.

Edited by imatechie, 29 November 2008 - 10:19 PM.

The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

#3 missysv

missysv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hi Jeffrey! I did all of the steps above. It said that it found and fixed one or more errors. But when it restarted it is just going back into the loop again. Same system error and everything. Is there something that I am missing? or something else I should try? Thanks for the quick reply!

Missy

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

You could try a Repair install of Windows. Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install CDs have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

Here's a link to a description of the STOP error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x21a
As you can see, it's an error that involves security of the system.
Most commonly these are caused by viruses - although I've seen them occasionally with a Windows Update on top of outdated drivers.

The status code that ends in 34 means that the object wasn't found. This is what the program was looking for when the crash occurred.

Since you're not able to get into Windows, the best thing to do would be to slave the hard drive to another system and scan it for viruses there. If it's infected we'll have to take other steps.

If it's not infected, then a repair install is the best option at this point.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 missysv

missysv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have an older computer that I am on right now but it only has Windows 98. Would it be possible to hook the Gateway computer to this one? Is there a chance I could get my stuff off of the Gateway computer this way? I made "rescue disks" when I first bought the Gateway so is that what I would use to do the repair install? How do I make backups of my system if I can't get in to Windows? Is there a way to do this? Thanks so much!

Missy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users