Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Mouse Only Works on Restart

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aatesk

aatesk

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

About a year ago I got a wireless Logitech mouse. Here's the problem -- works great EXCEPT that the first time you turn the computer on, it won't work. You have to restart the computer and then press the buttons in the base and on the mouse -- the computer will tell you that new hardware has been detected or something like that, and then it will work.

I tried re-installing the mouse, and that didn't work. I tried downloading new drivers, but that made no difference. Recently, I defragged my computer, and once or twice, it seemed to work the first time I turned on the computer, but now it's back to not working the first time.

Any ideas? Or should I just get a new mouse? (I'm afraid that if I do, it will just happen with the new one too).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

I've used several Logitech wireless keyboards and mice, and I've never had this happen. What model is it?
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

Has this always been the case or did the problem just start? Do you have a procedure or is there a switch on the dongle where you can switch channels?
Do you have anything wireless, like a phone or a baby monitor close to the computer?
Open your Device Manager and click on the +'s by USB. Are there any yellow exclamation points by anything?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 aatesk

aatesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

I'm not sure what the model is -- can't find that on the device. It is a Logitech cordless optical mouse. There are no cordless devices around the computer like a baby monitor or cordless phone. There are no channel options on the mouse or the receiver It has always done this. As for the Device Manager, you're going to have to tell me how to find that, because I have no idea.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and then hit Enter.

Louis

#6 aatesk

aatesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

On the device manager, there are no exclamation points by any USB ports.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

Any exclamation points by any device?

Louis

#8 aatesk

aatesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

No, although I will check again tomorrow morning the first time I start up, since I can access the device manager without the mouse. I will see if there are any exclamation points then.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Don't know why I didn't think of this before...

You probably need to remove all mouse drivers...then reinstall your mouse.

I have a Logitech PS2 mouse and I had to do this, after I had fiddled with 2/3 different devices (wanted to see if they worked).

Try the following for removing all unnecessary drivers, then reinstall your mouse drivers: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users