Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a virus/malware?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hello all I Am new here:)
So my computer one day decided to slow down when browsing online so I downloaded a free program called "ThreatFire" in hopes of finding and removing any spyware etc. when the program was about half way installed the computer froze and then suddenly it came to a point when it stopped working all together. I would re-start it and windows boots up normally, but then if I try to do anything (open any files,go online etc) it freezes and then I get the blue screen of death with a message that says: "The Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of F 0xc0000005 (0x000000000x00000000). The system has been shutdown"

Any ideas what this might be? does it sound like a virus or a BIOS/CMOS issue? Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

Sounds like faulty memory. If you have more than one module, you can try one at a time to see if one stick is bad, or you can download and run Memtest:
http://www.memtest.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like faulty memory. If you have more than one module, you can try one at a time to see if one stick is bad, or you can download and run Memtest:
http://www.memtest.org/

I thought about the memory too and I did remove one of the sticks at a time and even used a spare one with the same results. I can't even go online or do anything with it. As soon as I try to run a program or view anything it freezes and then the bsod appears. if everything else fails, what is the easiest way to transfer the contents of that hard drive to my new computer? Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

The most common cause for this that I've seen is a malware infection. Try some of these free, online scans to rule that out: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

Beyond that, we'll need some more information about the error message. To get this, note the time that the error occurred. Then go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Click on the System log file (in the left hand pane) and check for errors (around the time of the crash) in the right hand pane.
Do the same thing for the Application log file. Let us know what you find.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

The most common cause for this that I've seen is a malware infection. Try some of these free, online scans to rule that out: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

Beyond that, we'll need some more information about the error message. To get this, note the time that the error occurred. Then go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Click on the System log file (in the left hand pane) and check for errors (around the time of the crash) in the right hand pane.
Do the same thing for the Application log file. Let us know what you find.

As I said above, I can't do anything with it beyond the desktop. If I try to do anything I get the BSOD. Is there anything that I can do from the BIOS setup menu?

#6 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

Is there a way I could lat east retrieve the data somehow from the hard drive and transfer it to my new computer? And how do I know the data is not going to infect my new computer?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:59 PM

<<Is there a way I could lat east retrieve the data somehow from the hard drive and transfer it to my new computer?>>

Sure, just connect the hard drive to the new system...and move the data files. Note that I did not say programs...data files only.

<<And how do I know the data is not going to infect my new computer?>>

You are using a reliable, current AV program on that new system...right? You have antispyware/antimalware programs installed, in addition to your firewall and AV program, right? You know how to scan a new drive attached?

If so, the system is as ready to protect files/OS as it will ever be.

Louis

#8 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

<<Is there a way I could lat east retrieve the data somehow from the hard drive and transfer it to my new computer?>>

Sure, just connect the hard drive to the new system...and move the data files. Note that I did not say programs...data files only.

<<And how do I know the data is not going to infect my new computer?>>

You are using a reliable, current AV program on that new system...right? You have antispyware/antimalware programs installed, in addition to your firewall and AV program, right? You know how to scan a new drive attached?

If so, the system is as ready to protect files/OS as it will ever be.

Louis

Sorry if this is a dumb question: I'm I supposed to remove the new hard drive from the new computer and then install the old hard drive and then copy the files and swap the drives again??? I just want to be able to do this without having to open the new computer. Thanks for the explanation.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:54 PM

If you have a USB 2.0 enclosure for a hard drive...you can do it without opening the case.

Louis

#10 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

If you have a USB 2.0 enclosure for a hard drive...you can do it without opening the case.

Louis

I got the usb enclosure but where in the hard drive are the folders "My documents" and "my pictures"? I see all my programs etc but I do not see those anywhere?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users