Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat, reinstall with mirror of c drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DURN

DURN

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Running XP Pro on a dual core.

I have an external mirror disk of my 500GB C drive. (Actually the C drive is two 250's running in Raid 0. Will this complicate the reinstall and if so, how?)

Since I have easy access to everything on my C drive I'm thinking it should be relatively convenient but I've never done it before so I'm also anticipating the unexpected, so to speak.

So the question is, if you were going to do a reformat and clean install using an external mirror, what would be your protocol?

Thanks.

Edited by DURN, 29 November 2008 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First of all...a RAID 0 does not yield 500GB as drive C: when two 250GB drives are used. It yields 1 drive reflecting 250GB in XP.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/l...leLevel0-c.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

Sooo...my question would be...just what do you have setup?

AFAIK, there is no disk imaging software that will guarantee the ability to duplicate a RAID.

FWIW: http://community.norton.com/norton/board/m...;thread.id=6146

If you really have a mirror already on this external drive...I guess that I'm wondering how this was done?

Pardons if I've misinterpreted your post :flowers:.

Louis

#3 DURN

DURN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First of all...a RAID 0 does not yield 500GB as drive C: when two 250GB drives are used. It yields 1 drive reflecting 250GB in XP.

Hi. Well, I do have two 250's set up in Raid 0 and it shows up as one C drive at 500GB (actually it's 465GB.)

AFAIK, there is no disk imaging software that will guarantee the ability to duplicate a RAID.

Not sure what that means. My concern is about reformatting the C drive which consists of two Raid 0 drives and reinstalling XP. I'm wondering if when I reformat the drive(s) will I mess up the Raid 0 setup? Or is it just like reformatting a regular drive?

As for the mirror drive I use Retrospect to copy my C drive to an external HDD on a regular basis so I have a complete backup should the Raid 0 flake on me.

FWIW: http://community.norton.com/norton/board/m...;thread.id=6146

If you really have a mirror already on this external drive...I guess that I'm wondering how this was done?

Pardons if I've misinterpreted your post :flowers:.

Louis

But to reiterate, one of my concerns is that I not to get in the middle of a reformat/reinstall and find that for some reason I've lost my Raid 0.

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Fair enough.

I ask again...how did you originally setup what you think is a RAID 0?

If you can tell us that, I'm sure someone can properly advise you how to go about what you seek.

FWIW: The way that XP works...if I were going to install XP on a RAID (which I've done before), the RAID would have to be setup before the install was done...and the RAID drivers would have to be inserted into the XP install during it's initial stages.

Of course, none of this applies to an ordinary install of XP, unless one is using SATA drives...and the drivers for that would have to be inserted at the same point the RAID drivers should have been.

I will now leave this to those who are more knowledgeable in this area than I am, good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

Sorry about my mistaking a RAID 1 for a RAID 0, my focus strays at times :flowers:.

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2008 - 07:12 PM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

I think with RAID 0 you actually do add up the two hard drives involved, and that is your total storage area. Also RAID 0 is not a mirror. You say you have a RAID 0 mirror, but that would actually be RAID 1.

Why are you tying to reinstall? Infection?

RAID 0 offers you NO redundency. If one drive fails, you lose everything.

I do not think it is possible to reinstall Windows on a RAID 0 setup without losing your data.

Back up your data first, then reinstall. As you reinstall you need to set up the RAID 0 again. Usually this means installing a RAID driver from a floppy at the first part of the installation, when prompted to press F6 to install any needed drivers. After you have reinstalled, then paste your data back in place.

If you have lost one of your drives, then you have lost your data. If redundency is what you want, then you should use RAID 1. RAID 1 will give you a mirror of everything, in fact you could have a hard drive fail and not even realize it.

Then again I could be misinterpreting what you are trying to do. I think I need more clearer info. Is this the situation?: You have a computer with two hard drives - 250 GB each - set up in a RAID 0. AND you also have an external hard drive (500 GB) that has a complete backup of the RAID 0 array of hard drives?

Sorry if I rambled a bit in this post, I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do, or what your setup is, so I have simply replied with some general knowledge, and it may not apply to your exact situation.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 DURN

DURN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:20 AM

To recap:

Drive C consists of two 250 HDD's in Raid 0 configuration.

I have an exact copy of C drive on an external drive.

I intend to reformat and reinstall XP Pro on C. No virus. It's just not running the way it's supposed to.

Question: can I do a typical format and reinstall on a Raid 0 C drive without messing up the raid configuration? If not, what do I have to do to ensure the format/install goes will?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users