Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Pro 2009

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barney7

Barney7

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hi We have a second computer infected by Antivirus pro 2009.

The Computer is running XP Home edittion with AVG 7.5. (The AVG has stopped working and appears to have co-insided with the the machine being infected.

I have tried to down load the removal tool from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as reccomended on one of the forums (Cannot find the exact one) However when I try to download on the infected machine i keep getting blocked by the internet Explorer. It will not let me access the Sites and throws up a warning message.

I have down loaded it on my alternative machine without problem then and copyed it to both a CD and a removable stick drive and tried to run it on the infceted machine.

However although I can see the file in windows explorer, nither option will start running the program.

My knowledge of computer jargon is limited so things like Hijack Logs etc. that i have seen on other forums do not have any meaning

Can someone help

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

Try renaming mbam.exe to somethingelse.exe and see if it will run
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Barney7

Barney7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Garmanma

thanks for the tip. it has partially worked.

re naming it allowed the program it to be installed on the computer.

I am following the instructions on the your Malware and spyware removal page for Automated Removal Instructions for Antivirus Pro 2009 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

However after i Clicked Finish at step 5 on the instructions, nothing happens. it states MBAM should start automatically however the installation screens close then nothing

any suggestions

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Once you have it downloaded to the machine try changing the name back to mbam.exe and run it. Does that help?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Barney7

Barney7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hi Garmanma,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I had a real flu virus but that was easier to get rid of than this one

I tried your latest suggestion renaming it back to mbam.exe and running again but nothing happened.

I believe the program did partially install following your original suggestion to change the name because I found Malwarebytes Anti-Malware shown in the "All programs" list on the start button menu. However when I click on the program to run, nothing happens.

I have tried removing the program using the uninstall tool option in the All Program list and re-installing it with a copy downloaded yesterday for my other Daughter's computer. Her computer was displaying similar pop-up boxes to the original machine, but fortunately we recognised the problem and did not access any of links. On her machine the program installed straight away, worked very well and removed over 120 objects.

On the original machine it has failed again as follows.
At First I tried to run the mbam.exe file which had worked yesterday but nothing happened. I changed the name to somthing.exe and it ran through the install process until it reached the end. The update and Launch boxes were both checked and I clicked the finish button. At that point it again stopped working. After 20 mins waiting, I gave up. I checked the Program list and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was again showing available. I tried to run it from there but got an egg timer for a few seconds then nothing.

I have tried accessing the Malwarebytes.org website to see if there was a manual up-date available, but the site is blocked with the message "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" This happens each time I try to connect to any Anti virus type Web site even Bleepingcomputer.com

Could the blocking have a bearing on the program not running properly? The last thing you do on the install process is to ensure the up-date and launch buttons are checked, presumably the program tries to access the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware web site for new up-dates, then start the launch procedure. If it cannot access the site because the virus is blocking it, would it cause the program hang?

Would running the install process without checking the update box, allow me to run the program removing the problems found up to the original launch date and hopefully allow me access to update it manually?

Hope you have a suggestion

#6 Barney7

Barney7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hi Garmanma

do you have any suggestion. a friend has suggested reinstalling the operating system

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users