Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unsecured network computer to computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 urmymom

urmymom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

i hope this is in the right spot, sorry if its not

i have just noticed that on my notebook computer when i do a wireless network search i am getting, the name of my router and then my neighbor and then the name of my router again, but this one says unsecured computer to computer network - with on demand on the right side.

i have done a wireless search with my psp and it doesnt show up

how do i delete this and why is it there.

i have 3 computer connected to my router one is wired and 2 are wireless. i also have a ps3 -wired and xbox- wireless

is it in the router or this computer?

can some one please explain what this is it says unsecured.

jackie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

Is the computers OS Windows Vista?

and when you check it with the psp what doesn't show up your network being unsecured or the whole network?

#3 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

Your neighbour has set up a Ad-hoc network. Basically his computer is acting as the router which in turn connects to his internet. So when you connect to that network you are connecting to the "router" which is his computer. This is something that isn't so safe especially if you are connecting to such a network you don't even know because, well, connecting DIRECTLY to another computer is dangerous.

#4 urmymom

urmymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

Is the computers OS Windows Vista? the notebook computer is running windows xp

and when you check it with the psp what doesn't show up your network being unsecured or the whole network? it shows 2. it shows the secured one and the non secured one.

#5 urmymom

urmymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

Your neighbour has set up a Ad-hoc network. Basically his computer is acting as the router which in turn connects to his internet. So when you connect to that network you are connecting to the "router" which is his computer. This is something that isn't so safe especially if you are connecting to such a network you don't even know because, well, connecting DIRECTLY to another computer is dangerous.

it does show his as being secured and then it shows 2 of mine. one being secured and the other one being the computer to computer if i click on it it doesnt do anything that i can tell

#6 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

Try changing your SSID to something different and then see if theres still 2 networks maybe your friends messing with you lol.

It sounds to weird that shouldn't be happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users