Usually I've found over many years of working with Norton, that the Removal tool is generally only effective prior to another Virus program being installed, and about
70% problems occur when someone Installs Norton on Top of itself. The other 30% of the time it seems to be programs like Panda, Trend Micro, Bit Defender, and Ad aware and Spybot Search and Destroy cause troubles.
Use the norton removal tool in Safe mode, as this should provide the best results.
Myself, I'm not very optimistic about the uninstall being successful due to the statement I made above.
I'm editing after finding this on Bleeping computer. This should only be used as a guideline as it's out of date.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/
To add to this, you may want to run MSCONFIG from the run dialog box and disable the Norton/Symantec startup Items.
To do this do the following: Click Start Run, and Type "msconfig"
On the services Tab, Click Hide all Microsoft Services, and Uncheck any Norton/Symantec Services
Then go to the Start-up Tab and Uncheck any Norton/ Symantec Startup items, Generally speaking this
will only be one Item for Shared Symantec applications,Not sure but you may have more than that
depending on the product.
Click ok when Done, and restart the Computer, Tapping the F8 Key while booting up and select the Safe Mode Option
and then Run the Norton Removal Tool.
This is how one should run the removal tool as this eliminates the potential for the application from leaving behind items
that will continue to imapct your ability to run Windows.
Symantec makes a Great application, it's just difficult to remove without the right steps.
Edited by RandomUser, 29 November 2008 - 12:04 PM.