Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various problems with Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ghawk

ghawk

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hi, I've been using Vista Home Premium for about four months, and up to a month ago I had no complaint at all. Now...

I believe it all started when I tried to uninstall Norton Internet Security (which came with the PC with a trial period of 60 days), and it just wouldn't do it. So, I tried to install another software (in the hopes that in the process of installing it would uninstall Norton - and it did, but I guess not correctly).

Okay, so here's what happens:

- Every time I open an Office file (Word, Excel, anything), it shows a little Norton pop-up that says "Norton Internet Security has a license problem. You cannot run a scan until this problem is resolved." And at the bottom it shows a number "3038,102".

- Concerning the browsers: eventually (pretty random), the browser will stop working (not the program, just the web functions - i.e., you can click on the buttons, it will minimize, etc. but it doesn't open any website, not even to give error or anything). And then, when I close the browser and try to reopen it: with Firefox, it says "Firefox is still running but the program is not answering. Please close the program or restart your computer" or something like that; with Chrome, it opens a new browser (but when I go to Task Manager, the old one is still running also); with IE, the same thing.

- When the above happens (with the browsers) and I shut down my computer, it takes anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes to shut down (and in some cases shows the BSOD).

Here goes the HiJack log.

PLEEEEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!

I'm using a HP Pavilion tx1000, with AMD Turion 64X2 TL-66 2,3GHz; and 3,00 GB RAM; with Vista Home Premium SP1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Norton is a very complex program that interacts with your system in many different ways. More and more often at work I'm finding issues with computers that aren't able to be fixed until I uninstall Norton.

So, I'd have to suggest that you follow the instructions here to remove the Norton program from your system: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

Once it's uninstalled, I'd suggest installing an antivirus program of your choice. I prefer the free version of Avast, but others will recommend other programs. Should you decide to reinstall Norton, then you'll have to download a new copy of the latest available version.

Once you've reinstalled the protection, check to see if the problems have gone away. If not, then we can move on to other troubleshooting steps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Usually I've found over many years of working with Norton, that the Removal tool is generally only effective prior to another Virus program being installed, and about
70% problems occur when someone Installs Norton on Top of itself. The other 30% of the time it seems to be programs like Panda, Trend Micro, Bit Defender, and Ad aware and Spybot Search and Destroy cause troubles.

Use the norton removal tool in Safe mode, as this should provide the best results.

Myself, I'm not very optimistic about the uninstall being successful due to the statement I made above.

I'm editing after finding this on Bleeping computer. This should only be used as a guideline as it's out of date.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/

To add to this, you may want to run MSCONFIG from the run dialog box and disable the Norton/Symantec startup Items.

To do this do the following: Click Start Run, and Type "msconfig"

On the services Tab, Click Hide all Microsoft Services, and Uncheck any Norton/Symantec Services
Then go to the Start-up Tab and Uncheck any Norton/ Symantec Startup items, Generally speaking this
will only be one Item for Shared Symantec applications,Not sure but you may have more than that
depending on the product.

Click ok when Done, and restart the Computer, Tapping the F8 Key while booting up and select the Safe Mode Option
and then Run the Norton Removal Tool.

This is how one should run the removal tool as this eliminates the potential for the application from leaving behind items
that will continue to imapct your ability to run Windows.

Symantec makes a Great application, it's just difficult to remove without the right steps.

Good Luck

Edited by RandomUser, 29 November 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

This tends to bear out my experience from yesterday. I had an older Dell laptop with network connectivity issues. There were numerous yellow !'s in Device Manager - and about half of them mentioned Symantec in the description.

I ran the Norton Removal Tool and it locked up on me. I had to force a reboot. Then I uninstalled Norton (from the uninstall item in the Start Menu) while leaving the settings intact. For some reason, I was then able to remove the settings in the same way. Then the Norton Removal Tool finished the job for me.

Shortly afterwards, while trying to to achieve connectivity with an AT&T air card, we got a BSOD of STOP 0x50 when we rebooted the system. I had to leave, so I wasn't able to determine what the cause was - but it does teach me to be leery of the Symantec uninstalls.

Thanks Random User!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ghawk

ghawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

Thanks, usasma and RandomUser.

Followed the instructions and the Removal Tool worked perfectly.
Just trying to choose which a-v to install now... maybe AVG or avast (the free versions)...

Anyway, thanks for the very useful help!

Now it's just a matter of time to see if that fixed the browsers problem too (I'm optimistic about it!).

Thank you again,
Gabriel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users