Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New member/first post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CaySedai

CaySedai

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

I came here because of the HP Magic Giveaway. I had never heard of BleepingComputer.com before, but this looks like a very useful site.

I'm a 47-year-old fulltime college student, fulltime worker and mom. I'm taking the web technology program at our local community college. I'm way behind in homework (partly because of lack of computer access) and continually sleep-deprived. I'll be going back to bed right after this post (cat woke me up too early).

I had a post all ready for the HP Magic Giveaway but when I entered, there wasn't a place to put it and I don't want to recreate my thoughts later (because I'll completely forget, trust me), so I'm going to post it here.

My first thought was that I would give the HP TouchSmart to my mom. She's 70 and currently using my old HP Pavilion, which runs Windows 98. She can't access all her favorite websites on it. I played with one at OfficeMax and it was kind of fun to play solitaire by touching the screen and moving the cards. (I'm not sure Mom would be able to lift her arm that far and long, though, she has shoulder problems.)

One of the laptops would be mine for schoolwork. My current computer can't run the Adobe products that I use for class (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign and Illustrator), so I rented a laptop for a few weeks and I'm currently using my sister's computer. I had also thought of giving the other laptop to my niece Jessica. Her laptop was damaged when water spilled on it a year ago. It still works, but is hard to start, the keyboard doesn't work (she has a fullsize keyboard that she uses) and the CD drive doesn't always recognize CDs. (Jessica says she wants the HP mini 1000 to take notes in school and the other full-size laptop can go to her sister Suzanna, who is also in college and doesn't have a computer.)

I guess you can see that I can share the items in the prize package, even if it's only with members of my family. Part of my school work involves creating websites and at least one of my websites (so far) is for a local nonprofit organization. In future semesters, I'll probably be doing more of those for local organizations. I also want to start a technology group at church and help people learn to use email and computer programs.

So, that's about it. I have two daughters. One is 15 and in two weeks the other one turns 13. She's already getting a teen attitude, though. It surprises me every time I hear disrespect in her voice because she's always been such a sweet girl. My older daughter is completely addicted to several internet games (Pony Island, Grail, Gaia), and is harder to pry off the computer than anybody else in the family.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer CaySedai it's good to see you here. :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 eohalloran

eohalloran

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum so just thought that I would post a quick hello. I see some very interesting competitions on the site and have read some pretty good forum postings. There seems to be a whole medley of experienced and not so experienced users out there. I've been in the communications game for 24 years now and most of those years have included in depth troubleshooting of computers and peripherals of such. I'm hoping that I can offer some snippets of wisdom and indeed as no man is infallible, glean some.

Rgds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users