Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF File Won't Open in Windows Mail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

I receive lots of email with PDF attachments in Windows Mail. I am running Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1.

It is not a problem to receive the email but when I attempt to open the attachment from within Windows Mail I am receiving a message that says there is not a program associated with it.

I do have Adobe 8.1 free reader. Even in Windows Mail it shows that the PDF file has been associated with Adobe 8.1 as I see the Adobe logo in the bar showing the attachment.

I can save the file to my desktop and then open it but I don't understand why I can just open it out of Windows Mail.

I have gone to Set Default Programs and it shows that the .pdf extension default program in Adobe 8.1.

I would sure appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

Do the Following, which is the Dirty way to do this and you may lose your all of the mail stored on your PC, but if you're saving copies to the server, then this option will work without issue:

Start:settings: Control Panel: Mail: Show Profiles: Remove the Outlook Profile or the one that has your name on it.

Then, Add a profile in which you'll be asked to re-enter your e-mail account configuration information.

This should fix the problem with PDF attachments.

If you want to know how to back up your mail folders/Files for re-use, let me know.

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users