Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with XP install - re-adding a new internal hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mcjakes

mcjakes

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:22 AM

Hi,

I'm reinstalling XP on my machine (currently already running XP) as I have a serious rootkit infection.
I have two internal hared drives. and one external (with all my files and data on).

my c:\ drive which has windows on is i think the one infected, and will be the one i will reformat and reinstall XP on...i know how to install xp, done it before.
however somebody installed a second hard drive F:\ on my computer about a year ago, for extra storage.
what i don;t know is what i need to do to either get this hard drive working again, (if anything at all, or will it simply just be recognized when i reinstall XP on other drive?) or re formatted, as i would simply like a blank computer. with a c:\ with new XP on. and a blank and uninfected F:\ (if it infected..i don;t want to take any chances.)

so basically i'm asking... how do i reformat my second hard drive when i'm installing XP on my first?

thanks for your help.

this site is great and is answering alot of my questions.

Jack.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

It depends if the second hard drive is infected or not.
In most situations, the second hard drive won't contain anything having to do with the operating system - so any infections on it are easy to deal with.

I'd suggest wiping the hard drive and installing Windows there.
Ensure that Windows is fully updated, then download and install an antivirus program.
Update the antivirus program and scan the entire computer. Since it's a new install of XP, there should be no malware on the C: drive - and the scan will tell you if there's any infected files on the other drive. If it does find infected files, have the antivirus delete them.

Then reboot and scan one more time. If all is well, this second scan will come up clean.

PS - to minimize the chances of getting infected while setting up, disconnect the internet cable from the system when you're not actually using the web (until this procedure is finished).

Edited by usasma, 29 November 2008 - 09:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

however somebody installed a second hard drive F:\ on my computer about a year ago, for extra storage.
what i don;t know is what i need to do to either get this hard drive working again, (if anything at all, or will it simply just be recognized when i reinstall XP on other drive?)

Yes, you are correct, XP will recognize it and assign it a drive letter, it may be a different letter instead of F:, but you can change it to F: if you wish by going to

Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management

Right click on the drive in question and choose Change Drive Letter.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users