Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do Some applications work sometimes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 asobi

asobi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

Some time ago I used a small utility to score a tournament. It was written and given to me by someone I do not even remember. It worked fine on WIN95. I recently tried to use it on my laptop which now has WIN98se and it would not even load. Recently I found the application again on a stored floppy...loaded it onto my WIN-XP-pro and it works fine. I then installed it on my laptop from the original floppy and it would not run, either from the HD or from the disk, though it runs fine on the machines with XP. BTW, it also will not run on any other WIN98se I have, but it runs on all XP's.

Any explanations??? I would hate to reformat the laptop back to WIN95 just for this one instance

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:59 AM

Can you give us more info on this? What are the file names on the floppy? Specifically the full names with file extension. Do you get any error message when you try to install it on the 98 machine?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:34 AM

Try looking at "properties" on your program and see if it has "run in win 95 mode".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users