Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding a new hard drive to my Hp pavillion a867c

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:30 AM

A friend of mine recently moved and gave me a computer. I am thinking about adding the hard drive to my Hp pavillion a867c which has 250 gb presently. The hard drive is western digital, WD expert 205BA. It will give me about 20 extra GB. I am just wondering if this would be a good idea or is it too much trouble than its worth? thanks
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:09 AM

If all you want is more space, it looks like you can do it. Here is an upgrade manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00230511.pdf

But I wouldn't replace the one you have. For the time and trouble, it is not worth it.

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

You said "add", but then you only mention a gain of 20GB. I have 20GB drives which I use, but I use them as boot drives and only put XP and programs installed on them. I use my larger drives for storage only.

Adding a drive is easy and useful. If nothing else, you can begin to do (and save) periodic backups with a greater feeling of security, as opposed to having all your data/programs, etc. on one hard drive.

Louis

#4 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

so you think its not worth the trouble? im not sure what you meant.But if anything, I could use them in the manner you stated on your reply. Really I just wanted to know if it was possible without causing serious damage to my system. Thank you for your time and help!

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

The only problem I see is that the power supplies they put in those units are designed for what is there when it leaves the factory. Another hard drive shouldn't tax it too much but to be prudent, you might want to calculate what you need for a power supply and see if you have it.

Here is one of many:

http://www.journeysystems.com/?power_supply_calculator

DR

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

The manufacturers aren't going to install much more than what is needed for a PSU, but there's usually enough for the addition of another optical drive or hdd, we're only talking about mA for a current draw.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

I will have to put this idea on hold,because I am having a hard time removing some trojans and the like.Not really sure what I have.My antivirus (Mcafee) is of no use.All I can say is they are getting smarter and harder to remove. As soon as I am clean I will get back to this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users