Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Load OS DVD on Compaq Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger Rick 302

Ranger Rick 302

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:13 AM

I have a Compaq Presario F500 laptop that came with Windows Vista Home Basic. The hard drive it came with took a dump on me, so I replaced it with a Hitachi 320 GB SATA hard drive. A friend of mine sent me his copy of Windows Vista Ultimate, which I burned to a bootable DVD, using MagicISO.

When I insert the DVD into the drive, cut the power to the laptop, reapply the power, and start it up again, I only get a dead screen and a spinning hard disc. I've been told to access the BIOS and tell it to make my CD/DVD-ROM drive the primary loading source, but I can't access my laptop's BIOS. I also tried loading Ubuntu on the laptop, using a bootable disc I burned, but it had the same result: nothing.

So then, I tried plugging my laptop's hard drive into the desktop PC I'm on now. I bought a SATA cable, used it to plug the laptop hard drive into the desktop's motherboard, plugged the laptop hard drive into the power source plug that's spliced into the desktop PC's hard drive's wiring harness, and the laptop hard disc spins like it's starting up. The desktop PC BIOS and Device Manager both recognize the laptop hard drive, but it's not displayed in "My Computer."

I wanted to read the laptop hard drive with the desktop PC so I could attempt to install the OS with a computer that works. I looked all through the Device Manager and couldn't see any possible options. I looked all through the System Properties, but I couldn't see anything I could do there either. And I looked through the desktop PC's BIOS settings and saw nothing that seemed relevant enough to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:51 AM

You may need to format the new drive before the computer can read it. Every time I get a new drive, Windows will not work with it unless I format it first. As for the BIOS issue, manufacturers have different keys to get into it. It will most likely be F1, F2, or the Del key. You tap one of these at start up, the option to boot from CD is probably already selected in the BIOS.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well...I don't think those licenses are interchangeable among the various Vista versions.

When you connected the laptop drive to the desktop...what is reflected in Device Manager? Does it show the drive as being formatted and containing data?

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

#4 Ranger Rick 302

Ranger Rick 302
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

You may need to format the new drive before the computer can read it. Every time I get a new drive, Windows will not work with it unless I format it first. As for the BIOS issue, manufacturers have different keys to get into it. It will most likely be F1, F2, or the Del key. You tap one of these at start up, the option to boot from CD is probably already selected in the BIOS.

Formatting the new laptop hard drive is one of the things I wanted to do upon plugging it into my desktop PC, but I can't access it through "My Computer" or any other means, even though the desktop PC's BIOS and Device Manager both acknowledge its presence.

The problem with getting into the laptop's BIOS is that nothing is ever displayed on the screen, but I'll try turning it on and tapping different function and delete keys.

Well...I don't think those licenses are interchangeable among the various Vista versions.

When you connected the laptop drive to the desktop...what is reflected in Device Manager? Does it show the drive as being formatted and containing data?

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

By licenses, do you mean keys? The Vista Ultimate I got from my friend is supposed to be some sort of corporate version that doesn't require a key code or licenses or anything, I believe. But just in case, it has a key code in a readme file.

Here is what Device Manager says about the laptop hard drive:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

I'm not from the Microsoft Police, so I've done my part in pointing out that the seeming inconsistency in your approach to licensing, let's move on :flowers:.

The fact that Device Manager says that the drive is not yet initialized...means that DM thinks that it is a new disk which has not yet even been formatted.

Which is why the drive will not appear in My Computer/Explorer on the desktop.

Which is not good news if you had anything installed on that drive...I can't tell from your post.

In any case, you can initialize the drive by several methods. If you use a Vista/XP CD, it will be done automatically.

If you initialize it on your desktop, I guess that I fail to see any advantage in doing that...from what you say, you still won't be able to install the O/S.

I guess that I'm curious as to why you state that you cannot get into your BIOS to adjust boot options.

Directions for entering the BIOS of the laptop...should be in the owner's manual or available at the laptop manufacturer's website (where you can also download a copy of the owner's manual).

Louis

#6 Ranger Rick 302

Ranger Rick 302
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

Ha ha. :thumbsup: I don't really see how it's inconsistent, but okay. lol.

Anyway, another friend told me how to go into Computer Management and Disk Management. So I went there, initialized the drive, formatted it, and partitioned it for Windows and Linux.

Theoretically, I could hope to install the OS through the desktop, although I'm not a computer technician.

I can't access the laptop's BIOS, as nothing shows up on the screen. It never matters whether or not I have a hard drive in it, and I've even taken the RAM cards out and reseated them. It still has the same result. Unfortunately, accessing the laptop's BIOS isn't as simple as tapping F2, as nothing appears on the screen... ever. :flowers:

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

Compaq computers can also have F10 as the key to get into the BIOS. If you're using a live CD of Linux you can install the OS using a graphical user interface from within the Live CD session after you install Vista. Corporate licensing with Vista is different than that given to consumers or users of XP. Corporate licensing is negotiated in a contract, a volume license needs only one key. That one key has a number of activations associated with it. Activation is still required in most licenses.

Cyberwalker.com - How to get into your BIOS
Windows Vista Enterprise Licensing

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users