Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer makes noises.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

My computer makes noises when I click on things and when programs are loading. It's not a beeping and I don't really know how to describe it. It didn't do this in the past. Does anyone know why it is doing this?

-Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:01 AM

Does it sound like a click? One thing you can check.
Open up Control Panel from your start menu.
Click on Sounds and Audio Devices/Sounds tab.
What do you see listed in Sound Scheme?
If it's Windows Default (or anything else), click the drop down arrow and choose No Sounds.
Choose NO when asked if you want to save the previous sound scheme.
Click APPLY.
After the box closes, click on something to find out if the noise went away or still happens.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 November 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:53 AM

Is the clicking coming from your speakers or from the PC itself? In other words, if you turn off the speakers, does the clicking noise continue.

3939.png

#4 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

sharpie
I would put my money on one of two things. It could be the fan blade or bearing of the little fan in the power-supply or the fan on the cpu - most likely cause is DUST. Most of us are bad at keeping the interior of our TOYS (That's Technical Operating Yunit where the Y is silent). Clean it with an artist brush or attachment which fits on your vacuum cleaner.

Next would be the bearing in the fixed disk. Very bad - EXPENSIVE in TIME and $$.

If you have a doctor's stethascope set it down carefllly in the center of the drive while the disk is seeking and listen for the clucking, clicking noise. If you don't have a stethascope, we can make one. Find a screwdriver with the longest blade you have. Next hold it so that the top of the handle is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below your thumb and forefinger (first digit).
Set the point of the driver carefully on the disk and again listen.

I wish you luck in determining the problem. Either way, I feel you have two tasks. [A] BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM WITH A FULL BACKUP, [B] clean the interior of the computer case.

_ed_

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

sharpie
I would put my money on one of two things. It could be the fan blade or bearing of the little fan in the power-supply or the fan on the cpu - most likely cause is DUST. Most of us are bad at keeping the interior of our TOYS (That's Technical Operating Yunit where the Y is silent). Clean it with an artist brush or attachment which fits on your vacuum cleaner.

Next would be the bearing in the fixed disk. Very bad - EXPENSIVE in TIME and $$.

If you have a doctor's stethascope set it down carefllly in the center of the drive while the disk is seeking and listen for the clucking, clicking noise. If you don't have a stethascope, we can make one. Find a screwdriver with the longest blade you have. Next hold it so that the top of the handle is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below your thumb and forefinger (first digit).
Set the point of the driver carefully on the disk and again listen.

I wish you luck in determining the problem. Either way, I feel you have two tasks. [A] BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM WITH A FULL BACKUP, [B] clean the interior of the computer case.

_ed_

its not really a clicking and its coming from my computer and not my speakers. whats a fixed disk...like a hard drve? I replaced my Hard drive not too long ago. maybe about six months.

-thanks

Edited by boopme, 30 November 2008 - 10:11 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

Yes Fixed disk refers to the Hard disk drive.
Is this a laptop by any chance?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Have you run a disk check to see if there are any problems? You can use the one built into Windows to check for some problems.

3939.png

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

If it's not coming from your speakers, then my suggestion to change the sounds won't have any effect.

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yes Fixed disk refers to the Hard disk drive.
Is this a laptop by any chance?

no, desktop.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

To run chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer in XP:

Click Start, and then click Computer. Right-click the volume you want to check, and then click Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then click Check Now.

Do one of the following:

a. To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, clear all check boxes, and then click Start. I see no value in running chkdsk in read-only mode, but...there must have been a reason they included this option (other than fuzzy thinking).

b. To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically Fix File System Errors check box, and then click Start. This results in some repairs, but is not the best option for checking the hard disk.

c. To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select both the Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan For And Attempt Recovery Of Bad Sectors check boxes, and then click Start. Best option available for running a check of the hard drive.

Chkdsk will run immediately if the volume is not in use (any partition other than C:) and then display the results in a dialog box. If the volume is in use (C: will be busy because C: contains Windows), Chkdsk will ask if you want chkdsk to run at next boot. Type Y, hit Enter.

Next reboot will trigger chkdsk, allow to run to completion.

After running, Chkdsk adds the results to the Application Event Log with a source of Winlogon. The Event Log entry will contain the entire Chkdsk output, including details about any changes made to the volume. To determine if a computer has had ongoing disk problems, search the Event Log for older Chkdsk entries and compare.

Louis

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

thanks-i ran the test, but where do i find the application event log to search for older Chkdsk entries? and what does "a source of Winlogon" mean?

-thank you

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Event Viewer has 3 tabs, with Applications being the tab referred to. EV displays various columns, with Source being one of the columns.

Louis

#13 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

How would you like me to post the problem? Once I find the error I right click then hit properties. A box comes up. How do I post the box, or do you want me to just post certain information?

-Thank you for all the help.

#14 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

hello?

#15 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:54 AM

I think that sound is coming from the harddrive.
I have a maxtor 320gb and it does like a clicking sound when something loads as you said.

Try flipping up side down you hard drive and notice if the clicking continues or not.

Post the result and hope it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users