Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up my PC - I don't know which Apple programs to kill.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

I'm getting rid of absolutely everything that my laptop doesn't need in order to get that extra bit more memory freed up but I've found so much crap that seems to serve no purpose on my system as they are related to things that I don't have and never use.

I'm very minimalist, so I'm looking to get rid of everything that isn't required by iTunes 7 and anything that has anything to do with any model of iPod other than my last-gen iPod Nano. I do not connect to the internet with it and never update anything unless I have to, in which case I manually download it using my desktop.

So, knowing all that, If I uninstalled the following programs could I lose any of the limited functionality I already employ?:

Apple Mobile Device Support - This is for the iPhone right?
Apple Software Update - If uninstalling this will prevent me from downloading updates automatically, I don't care.
Anything related to Bonjour - I see no need to have a program running just so my iPod can turn on iTunes when connected.

I know I can run a application that will wipe out ALL Apple related programs but won't that also get rid of iTunes?
"There must be someway out of here, Said the joker to the thief."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

Yes, iTunes does not require those 3 components to run properly. I have uninstalled them myself, through the control panel, and iTunes works perfectly fine.

If you have other Apple-related software apart from stuff that came with iTunes, then you can just uninstall iTunes, use that Apple software cleaning application, then reinstall iTunes and then get rid of stuff like Bonjour, etc..

#3 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

Ah, thank you. :thumbsup:
I hate when one program is made up of many others don't do anything worth the memory they use.
"There must be someway out of here, Said the joker to the thief."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users