Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win. 98SE; What Are We Supposed to Do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Jaque

Uncle Jaque

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

I managed to do the RSIT thing and post a combined log for our primary PC running Win XP, but we are having problems with the "back-up" box, which runs 98SE as well; slow booting, sluggish performance, unstable, (even more so than usual for 98) frequent crashes etc..

Since they are connected via. a router to the same internet cable modem, a stealth virus, trojan or what have you may have gotten to both of them at the same time. I am using AVG which is about all that I can find for 98; the "free" CA AV that our ISP provides requires 2K or better. Tried AVAST but not impressed. Downloaded latest version of C Cleaner which (surprise!) WILL run on 98 and see if a registry scan helps any.

In trying to replicate the posting process here for the 98, I downloaded RSIT, but it won't open. Is it incompatible with W98?
Also tried a KASPERSKY scan, but find out that it won't do 98 either.

I have "Hijack This", which seems to do all right on 98; would it be helpful for me to post just the Hijack log?
At this point that's about all that I can seem to do.

Do you even offer this log analysis for W98 users? I don't see anything equivalent over on the W98 forum. Am i missing something? :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 November 2008 - 09:35 PM.
Move from HiJack This forum to Am I Infected as there are no logs. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hold the HJT log for now as they are not for this forum, if needed we will ask and have you post it
Please try running SAS for Operating Systems: Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Uncle Jaque

Uncle Jaque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

OK; I printed out those instructions and will have a go at it probably tomorrow.

In posting my "combined log" for the XP I was just following instructions posted on the preliminary sticky - to download SITS and run it, whereupon it would automatically run HJT and produce a combined log consisting of HJT as well as it's own log. Now I'm under the impression that that's the ONLY forum in which we can do that, and no place else. Am I correct on that? Please correct me if i'm wrong so I won't mess up here. :thumbsup:

Since SITS won't work on W98, all I can do is a HJT. Should I post any of those logs (probably a "before" and "after" virus scanning) on the log-posting forum?

The last time I had the '98 running, I tried to update my AVG anti virus (the free AV that our ISP provides won't work on 98) and I got a blue screen with the dire message to the effect of:

"Fatal Exception OD occured at 0028: C00015D9. The current application will be terminated."

When I pressed "Any Key" to terminate the application, all I got was another blue screen except this one said it "occured" in FE OD @ 0028: C000B28A in VXD VMM(01)+0000A28A.

When I again hit a random key, I was returned to the AV Test Center window, but the mouse was non responsive and the system was "locked up". C-A-D= BS; "System busy or unstable... Wait or re-start computer."
Pressed random key to "wait". After about a minute of black screen with a non responsive cursor, C-A-D to re-start. BS: System busy waiting for the close program dialog box to be displayed...
C-A-D again; no response. Re-booted using refresh button on CPU :

MICRON "Millenia"
Intel 82443LX/EX Pentium II; 300mhz.
Cache RAM: 512MB
Total Memory: 192MB
BIOS Version: 4A4LLOXO.05A.0009.PO4
Diamond Viper V330 (Nvidia Riva 128)
Dell V15X
Yamaha OPL-3 SAX WDM Driver

The boot up hung up for over 10 minutes, after which I pushed F2 to try and check out the set up;
The white letters on black screen told me "Entering Setup".... but it never did.

I hope that I can keep it running long enough to download that superantispyware AV; if so I'll give that a shot. I suppose that I could load it on to a CD from the XP and then try to install it off of the CD drive on the 98... but usually by the time a 'puter gets that far gone it won't recognize any of it's drives any more.

I may wind up just reformatting the bloody HD and starting all over again.

One thing I like about the old box; it still has a 3.5" floppy drive in it, so I can back old archival data from my rather vast assortment of FDs up on to a CD. Apparently we can't even plug a 3.5 drive in to the modern computers; they don't even have a bus for 'em any more.

Thanks!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

Well actually if reformatting is noyt an issue.I would do that as its the safest and surest thing. I still have a 3.5 also :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users