Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Armydan

Armydan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

I am home for a few days from the Army and I am trying to fix my parents computer. I am down to CWS_NS3 and CWS_NS3 Hijack. I have Spybot S&D, CWShredder, and Spysweeper. I also have Hijackthis but cant open it because I get an error that says "SysFader: explorer.exe - application error" and in the box it says "the instruction at "0x1003f065" referenced at "0x0000000" the memory could not be written. I also get this error message when I try to got to Start and then try clicking on anything in the left hand side which is My Documents, pictures, computer, network connections etc. I am really lost on how to fix this. Can someone please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

Hello Armydan and welcome to the BC forums. SysFader is used by the operating system to draw to the screen in Internet Explorer. Problems with it can indicate an infection but it has also been known to occur when any of the IE settings get messed up. Let's try to fix IE and then we'll see what happens.

Open Windows Explorer and show all files by:
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known types option.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Now navigate to c:\windows\inf. Locate ie.inf and right-click on it. Choose Install from the pop-up window and let it reinstall.

When finished, reboot your computer and run at least 2 of the following on-line virus scans:Trend Micro Housecall
BitDefender On-Line Virus Scan
Panda ActiveScan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
Make sure that you choose "fix" or "clean".

Now, reboot your computer normally, start HijackThis and perform a new scan. Use the Add Reply button to post your new log file back here along with details of any problems you encountered performing the above steps and I will review it when it comes in and we will check for anything further.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users