Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Building A New Computer From an Old One?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AdamT

AdamT

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ok..

So.. my neighbor was throwing out three old computers that had fried mobo's, I grabbed them, took all the parts I could salvage, and put the best of parts into the eMachines T6410 case.

I kept the DVD Drive from the T6410, as long was the power supply, and the standard USB ports in the front/Card Readers.

There is no motherboard or hard drive.

As for unused parts; I have an old 754 socket AMD Athlon 64 3200+, a 512 and 256 MB stick of 184 Pin RAM, and well... thats it, besides the cpu fan/heatsink and the fans that came in the case.

Obviously I need a hard drive, but after that I have a few options;

I can spend $50 for an old 754 socket motherboard to put the CPU in, as well as the ram, and have a working computer as soon as I get the hard drive as well.

Or I can spend.. $120? For a new Micro ATX AM2 socket motherboard and a new dual core AM2 socket CPU, resulting in the need to buy more RAM (I'd buy 4gb for ~$50) as well as possibly a new power supply? I'm not sure on the new power supply, right now whats in there is 300w... would I need a new one? and if so how many watts do you think I would need? Should I even attempt to use the old parts I have (CD drive, usb ports, case/etc), or just scrap it all?

I'm basically wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice on this, and if you could tell me if the second option would work, because thats what I really want to do. I want to buy a new AM2 mobo/cpu, new ram, and a new hard drive and put it into the old T6410 case, along with the old dvd drive, front usb ports/card reader, and possibly the old power supply. So should I do this, or just buy an old 754 mobo and use the old cpu/ram, or just do nothing and forget it all?

Also if anyone could help me with any compatibility issues you think I would run into that would be great. Any AM2 mobo/cpu's you see that you think would go well in this system for a decent price would be nice (here is the combo I saw and want to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...t=Combo.144001)

Thanks, just really hoping this can all work ;3.

BTW here is the power supply I have atm: http://www.affordablesurplus.com/hipro-hp-...ower-supply.asp

Thanks in advance for the help!

Adam~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

I would recommend updating to the newer parts. The only motherboard I could find was from Tigerdirect.com and it was a pcchips (not a recommended manufacture due to problems). You will need to upgrade the power supply the OEM 300 watt units are not designed for newer systems and are barely enough to power the systems they were designed for. You can start with a cobo deal from newegg.com for a AMD Athlon X2 2.5 ghz 45watt processor with an Asus M2N motherboard with integrated graphics for 96.00 and you can get 2 gigs of memory for 27 bucks.

Edit: typos

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 November 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 AdamT

AdamT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

I would recommend updating to the newer parts. The only motherboard I could find was from Tigerdirect.com and it was a pcchips (not a recommended manufacture due to problems). You will need to upgrade the power supply the OEM 300 watt units are not designed for newer systems and are barely enough to power the systems they were designed for. You can start with a cobo deal from newegg.com for a AMD Athlon X2 2.5 ghz 45watt processor with an Asus M2N motherboard with integrated graphics for 96.00 and you can get 2 gigs of memory for 27 bucks.

Edit: typos

Thanks, I'll look into it ^^, but the old dvd drive and case should be fine, right?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

The DVD drive should be ok. The case it depends on what size it is (micro ATX or MID ATX) as to whether or not the new motherboard will fit. The dvd if it has the curved bezel will work in another case just fit a little funny.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 AdamT

AdamT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

From what it seems, it looks like the new motherboard would fit, the previous was 9.6" x 9.6" so.. yeah.. do you know how strong of a power supply I would need? Thanks ^^

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

A good 350 watt power supply from. Rosewill, Coolermaster, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair would be perfect. If you plan on upgrading to a PCI-E video card you would need one that has the correct connectors and the right amount of amperage for the newer card generally 450-500 watts.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 November 2008 - 05:41 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 AdamT

AdamT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

hmm i think sometime in the future I would upgrade an add a video card, but probably not any time soon really, I have limited money at the moment.(im only 16, and there are no jobs anywhere near me) I'll look at some power supplies ^^

EDIT: Would this power supply work, and by work i mean, would it fit in my case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

Edited by AdamT, 28 November 2008 - 05:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users