Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ANOTHER bsod with STOP: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 radxx

radxx

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

Firstly, let me apologise for the obscenely long post. Secondly thank you for reading it!

I'm having a rough time with my pc. Was running a deep virus/spyware/malware scan 4 days ago that was running upwards of 7 1/2 hrs, it then started smoking and the case got hot so i switched it off. I checked inside and got rid of lots of built up dust and fluff and waited for the system to cool down. I tried it again and the PSU started to HISS! With trepidation I managed to boot into windows before it restarted itself so i tried safe mode and it was fine, apart from the noise coming from the tower, but it only lasted a few minutes before i got the first STOP error. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000A (0xCB00DE8B, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X8081682D)

I've bought a new decent PSU and it now boots without smoking and smelling and hissing! But still not reaching anywhere near a useable state. I've rebooted, like, a hundred times (sometimes it boots further), but I can't get to safe mode, normal mode or XP Boot diskette or boot the XP genuine cd-rom. Sometimes the cd gets to the part of the setup process jus before it asks me to accept the EULA, but each instance i get the above error message.

I've read up lots of threads, on different sites (incl.google) and tried everything I can think of doing but still no luck! :thumbsup:

Its got to the point where I don't think I care about installing XP over the top of itself and losing files etc.

I've had this problem once or twice before but couldn't remember what I did to fix it. Somebody mentioned it may be a bad RAM problem but I've not had that kind of problem before (even though I looked into it during the last time) and I'm hoping I don't now. Can't afford it.

IS there anything I CAN do?
Many thanx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:26 PM

I would suspect that you toasted your memory
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063
If you have more that one memory module, you can try using one at a time. Maybe only one was damaged
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

From this KB article ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314063&sd=RMVP ):

This Stop error message usually occurs during installation when there was an attempt in kernel mode to touch pageable memory at too high a process internal request level (IRQL). Typically, this error occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error include an incompatible device driver, a general hardware problem, or incompatible software.

Since this happens when booting from the XP CD we can assume that it's not a device driver or incompatible software. Since this is a system that you've had XP installed on, we can also probably rule out incompatible hardware (although there are some circumstances where this is possible).

That leaves us with a hardware problem. Couple this with the PSU meltdown, and it's likely that there's significant damage to your system. I would suspect that the PSU sent excessive current into your system before it blew, and that's what's causing the errors.

As garmanma states, memory is the most likely problem here (STOP 0x0a is a memory error). You can try this free utility to test it: http://www.memtest86.com/ Read the directions carefully and run the test for at least 3 passes (overnight is better). If you start getting errors you can stop the test immediately. You can tests the sticks individually, and in different slots to determine what's gone bad on you.

After that, I'd suggest running a bootable hard drive diagnostic available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. A list of the most common ones is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users