Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't safely eject hardware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

Can't safely eject USB
I have a 2 GB Cruzer memory stick that is giving me some issues!

I have a brand new HP notebook running Vista.

I plug in the memory stick and it reads it fine.

I try the safely eject button, and the light on my memory stick stays lit. With XP, it would go out, and I knew I could safely remove the stick.

Even when I remove it (with it lit) and then plug it back in, I get an error saying that it was not safely ejected.

I have read that Vista does not turn the light off after things are ejected...is this true?
Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

hi,,, is vista up too date on the windows updates,, do you have SP1 installed,,, the safe removal of hardware use to have issues but ms made a fix for it,,, i have a cruzer 4gb,,, lite comes on when plugged in,,, lite stays on when you click on the SRH button on tool bar and uninstall it,,, it gives you the ok to unplug,,, when i pull it out the light then goes out,,, is yours the same????
when i plug in again all is ok on mine,,, it use to do the same as what yours is doing now until SP1 was installed,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

Yes I do have all of the updates and I am running service pack 1.
So, the light stays on your cruzer even though you safely can remove it?

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

yer,,, the little redish orange lite on the top stays on untill i pull it out the usb,,,,, but it says ok to remove hardware,,, try reformating it to ntfs and then give it a go.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users