Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying new computer with Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

I see that you can buy a new computer with XP instead of Vista. I like XP and really would rather stay away from Vista but don't want to purchase it if Microsoft will not support it for long. Anyone have ideas on how long Microsoft is going to provide service for XP? Actually I thought you could not even buy a computer with XP anymore. Are they starting to bring XP back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

You can read this article for info:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...nd-of-life.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

The dates for MS stopping their support of XP keeps changing. One thing is probably going to be true in the end: XP Professional will continue to be supported long after the support for XP Home stops. Perhaps even years longer. This is because corporate customers of MS use Pro, and they have overwhelmingly rejected Vista. They are all still using XP Pro.

So if it is support you are concerned about I would go with XP Pro.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 UPFRONT1

UPFRONT1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'm no expert on the capability difference between XP and Vista, but it would seem logical to me that as Microsoft puts off XP's retirement date further and further, their OS development department(s) could possibly introduce two or three new operating systems, or at least major revisions, in that time frame. One would think that they would address Vista's supposed deficiencies in one of those new OS, and that it would happen sooner rather than later, unless they think that the "deficiencies" are really customers' resistance to change.

UPFRONT1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users