Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BootCD - Virus & Spyware Removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BassKozz

BassKozz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

Is there a bootCD that can automatically run Virus & Spyware removal tools?

a la:
Darik's Boot And Nuke (hard drive wipe)
Ophcrack (Windows Password Cracker)

If not, WHY? This seems like an obvious solution if a computer is infected, just pop in the BOOTCD and let it run. The opensource community should pick this up and run, keep it updated on a consistent basis with the latest Virus Definitions and spyware removal definitions.

BTW, I am already familiar with BartPE (pain to compile) and UltimateBOOTCD (hasn't been updated since May), and these don't just run upon boot. There should be an easier solution.

Edited by BassKozz, 28 November 2008 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hello BassKozz.

Very good question. I don't believe there is such.

If not, WHY?

I don't feel there is an advantage over the products that already exist.

Detection of infection does not improve from a disk (there are exceptions that I won't go into).

There are dangers of a boot disk that removes infections: when Windows is not running, any file on the hard drive can be deleted. While this is good to remove tough infections, a false positive, or a driver file removed without the driver being disabled and..

Just my opinion. Please give some reasons as to why you think this tool would be useful.

With Regards,
The panda

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:54 PM

Avira have a tool which you burn to CD and boot from that. (I have it in my arsenal but have not had to use it yet.)

Avira AntiVir Rescue System
The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

(It would seem to be a good idea to burn a new disk on another computer at the time you need it so you have the latest updates)

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 28 November 2008 - 05:59 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

you could do like i did and download a whole bunch of stand alone av onto a flashdrive, configure a bat to let you choose, then run.

see my "usb utility disk" thread.

if you want i can send you info on it.

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

Avira have a tool which you burn to CD and boot from that. (I have it in my arsenal but have not had to use it yet.)

Avira AntiVir Rescue System
The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

(It would seem to be a good idea to burn a new disk on another computer at the time you need it so you have the latest updates)

Cheers

Or (if you could find a way) you could edit the ISO before its burnt and make the program autoupdate to a usb drive that is paired with the cd/dvd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users