Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my video card broken?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

Okay, let me explain myself.

While I was surfing the Internet in Firefox, the screen suddenly started to appear and disappear at intervals. I just let it happen (because I thought that it would fix itself) and didn't do anything until I got a blue screen. The computer restarted and everything was fine until I got to the welcome screen. The screen started to appear and disappear again. This time, I did a hard shut down. I turned the computer on again but the problem was still there.

I was able to access the computer using Safe Mode. I thought that Firefox was causing the problem so I uninstalled it. That didn't work. Next, I did a System Restore (luckily, I made a restore point before the error). But that also didn't work.

So I decided to reinstall Windows XP because I thought that something was wrong with XP itself. I was able to reinstall it but when I got to the welcome screen, the screen began to appear and disappear again. I did another hard shut down and went back to Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, I accessed Device Manager to disable my video card. This time, when I booted up to Normal Mode it didn't appear and disappear. I reinstalled most of my programs but the graphics isn't good anymore.

Is my video card broken? Why did this happen? What should I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

The video driver might have become corrupt. I would try replacing/updating the driver before replacing the card. If there is a cooling fan on the video chip on the card, I would check to make sure it is clean and working

Edited by garmanma, 28 November 2008 - 12:43 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

The video driver might have become corrupt. I would try replacing/updating the driver before replacing the card.

Well, the driver does come with the Windows XP so it probably isn't. I'll try the other options.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

Well, the driver does come with the Windows XP so it probably isn't.

I don't understand what you mean
Windows does not supply specific video drivers. If your video chip is built-in to the motherboard (onboard), you download from the manufacturer of the computer. If it is a separate, plug-in card, you download from the manufacturer of the card
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

What I mean is that the driver is installed automatically by Windows when I install XP in the computer. When I first installed XP, I didn't really encounter any problems with the video card. This is just recent.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

Well, I stand by what I said, I hope you find a solution
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users