Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP/Bleeping Computer "Magic"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

I'm sure we all know about the contest - h e r e - where BleepingComputer and HP are having a Magic Giveaway of 4 computers, including some great software.

One of the stipulations for the winner is:

The purpose of this contest is to spread a little magic into people's lives during the holidays. With that said, the prize package must be shared with at least one worthy recipient or cause. It is up to you how much of the package you wish to share, and we hope you share more than one item, but at least one computer must be given to another person or organization.

I'm sure that a lot of us, when we saw that we might win 4 PC's started thinking about what they would do with all of them and considered donating one or more to a local organization.

For me, I'd check with the local "meals on wheels" folks, or a local organization that I've read about that needs computers in their effort to teach English to Hispanics, or maybe another organization that donates a computer to an underprivileged family. I don't know the exact names of these groups (other than Meals on Wheels), but have read about them in the local paper over the last year or so and know that they are a benefit to our community.

I'm just wondering -

does anybody else already have some "worthy recipient or cause" in mind?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

Great thread topic JohnWho.

As you say there are many worthy recipients. Perhaps consider your local Humane Society. Let's not forget those homeless dogs and cats during this Holiday season.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

At our local Humane Society, I don't think either the dogs or the cats can use a computer.

:flowers:

However, they do have a very smart African Gray parrot that may be Tech savvy!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

There are volunteer tutoring programs for adults and for children. Also, there are organizations that help train folks for jobs and help them in job searching. Goodwill is one such organization.

A good place to check would be with your local volunteer network.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

At our local Humane Society, I don't think either the dogs or the cats can use a computer.
:thumbsup:

Perhaps not, but you will likely find hard working volunteers trying to find information and keep records on some pretty old and slow system.

Anyway, garmanma has a dog that uses a computer........

Edited by ddeerrff, 28 November 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 coffeegonecold

coffeegonecold

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:43 AM

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with MS and given 2-3 years to live, and in that time he wants to finish his degree but doesn't have a computer for school. So I'd definitely give one of the systems to him if I won.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users