Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help please with autorun

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ndancosse

ndancosse

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

i screwed up last night and my comp froze while i was sleeping and when i restarted comp yesterday i ran autorun and accidentally unchecked the file that allows me to login on xp startup page ... so now i type my login pw and it automatically logs out ...hence i cannot get to my documents page to re run autorun and activate the file i unchecked ... how can i get beyond the login page to activate this . ive tried safe mode,actually every mode on safe mode screen and every one just logs me off immediately after logging on ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

Do you have an original Windows CD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ndancosse

ndancosse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

i have xp home upgrade cd tried to use that and repair files (file isnt damaged so didnt think it would repair it anyways but was gonna try) but says theres a file damaged or missing so using that cd wouldnt work ...

i also have 3 recovery cd`s that came with comp i inserted 1 and it asked to recover xp ..and when i hit yes it said i will lose all files so i stopped ... it also gave me option to use command prompt ..i hitthat but didnt know what to type so i also stopped there

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

All the recovery CDs will do is to return to as new from the factory condition without saving any files.If you have the CD key from the upgrade CD you could borrow a XP Home CD from someone to repair it.
I'm not sure this will work, but You might be able to use a BartPE CD:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
or a Live Linux CD to access the computer and Autoruns and make the change

I'm going to move this to the XP forums
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Tell me more about this upgrade CD...that you claim won't work. What does that mean? They seem to work for plenty of others who use them.

Louis

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

If you mean the program autoruns you should be able to use BartPE and run autoruns and recheck the box you unchecked.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 ndancosse

ndancosse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

sorry guys ...it was an xp home upgrade cd ... and it wouldnt work because when i tried it ... it said there was a file missing and it wouldnt go any further ..but than i got it to work ...which ended up being a bad thing very bad ... because when i finally got it to start going ..it had deleted so many files that i ended up having to do a complete reinstall of windows xp ...with recovery disks ... and i got pissed and just reformatted whole darn thing ...pissed me off ...now i gotta reisnatll everything ive had lol ...

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

Sometimes it is the best thing to do
Mark
Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

FWIW: Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

Certain Windows programs will run in PE mode - and the use of the BartPE disk should allow this. Not having used BartPE in a long, long time - I'll have to ask....Does it have the option to load registry hives from the disk when it loads?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

Yes you can load/access the original registry hives from the HDD and edit and make changes to them. For example if you delete the user LOGON you can restore that and reload the hive. (I had to do this once)

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 November 2008 - 10:13 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Sneakycyber! I've been using a version of Windows PE that's proprietary and have lost touch with the freeware alternatives. I'll have to make some time to try BartPE again!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users