Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

camcorder to laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laneck

laneck

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:58 AM

hi . i hope some one can help as im kinda lost . i have a cannon uc8000 camcorder and i want to connect it straight to my laptop sony vaio vgn fe41m . it has a 3.5mm out which goes into a red and white pin then into a scart adaptor . i have a firewire port /usb port / svideo out and another one net to svideo out . please help .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

I could be wrong but it sounds like you have a channel missing. This suggest that if you play it back on a laptop the sound will be unavailable. I'm not entirely clear on the details yet.

You currently have:

One 3.5mm jack plug in the cam itself with a lead that then splits (red and white/2 channels)

Any other ports on the camera itself?

Various options at the laptop end.

I'll have a poke around on the net later and see what I can come up with if no-one else has solved it by then. I had some nightmares getting my DV cam ported initially, it's a fairly standard problem tbh.

#3 laneck

laneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

hi webrat . i was given an adaptor that took video to s video slot and audio into microphone slot . what software would i use to record the playback from the camcorder to my pc .i have adobe premiere pro cs3 ? thanks mate

Edited by laneck, 28 November 2008 - 11:24 AM.

#4 laneck

laneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

please advise anyone ? this is the only place i know to get help .

#5 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:10 PM

An S-video cable should work as a standalone option.

As for software there is a lot of options. I would try Windows Moviemaker first as it's a free app you can download from their site. You may even have it on your system. It's basic as an edit tool but works with a lot of different cameras, which is handy.

I've got Premier pro CS3 myself but don't like it that much. That said, as long as the capture part of the app is triggered by the S-video it will do a good job. The only way to find out is to try it and again it will cost nothing. I use Pinnacle studio stuff as it has a lot of functionality, is easily upgraded and I just find it more user friendly.

I did wonder if one of the Dazzle capture cards from Pinnacle (or a similar capture card from a reputable supplier) would solve the problem, but it has a standard scart output (3 jacks/yellow, white red). It might actually do the job given that the cam itself is only outputting to two channels anyway but I couldn't be certain on that.

I'm not being as helpful as I'd hoped but it's tricky without knowing the camera properly. At least one of the above should capture the output one way or another. If the free options can't be made to work then an AV compatible capture card is probably the most hassle free way of doing it, rather than hunting for custom cables and so on.

Edited by webrat, 28 November 2008 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users