Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq PC Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jormic

jormic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

Compaq Presario sr1538x would not load Windows or go into safe mode, F10 was used to initiate "Compaq recovery". The recovery reinstalled original windows and saved all data. I have verified that everything is still on the hard drive. How do I restore the data to their original folders (IE- my pictures).

Thank You - Any help appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

Not sure I can help, . .

May I ask you, what do you mean, (IE My Pictures).

Can you open the file where your pictures are?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#3 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Jove thanks for the reply. After the recovery all the data still exist on the hard drive where I can still look at my pictures, my music and all other of my original data.

But since the recovery reset windows to its original factory state the files under start/my music do not show my saved music.

Thanks

#4 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

You did say pictures, so I was thinking you could at least view them, however, I am hoping the best for you, but Factory State, is a rough call for, "saved files", if I am not mistaken, factory state would have wiped your HD clean, I may be wrong, since you said, "The recovery reinstalled original windows and saved all data."

Where exactly are the files you say have been saved ? Have you tried the search program for the ones that are not found ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#5 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

The hard drive seems to be untouched only change is to desktop. I check path to music in hard drive and it is different.

Don't know what to do next, how do I ge My Music to recognize the data on the hard drive?

Thanks

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but will throw it out to you anyway.

When you reinstalled Windows did you set up user accounts?
The new install will over-ride the previous accounts, although your data is still on your computer.
If you click on My Music, it's following the path to the new Music folder.
Have you done the very simple thing of MOVING your files from the older folders to the new ones?

Make your way to your My Music, Pictures, whatever folder that was saved.
Open it up, highlight each file, then on the left side of the page under file and folder tasks choose Move this file. Navigate to where it want to move it to, then click MOVE. (if you have a lot of files, hit ctrl and A keys at the same time to highlight everything at once)

After the files are moved, check the path from your desktop or start menu. If my impression of the issue you are having is correct this will hopefully solve your issue.

#7 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users