Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Future of Vista 64 bit install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:38 AM

Ok Guys: Is the future of 64 bit install only about speed and Money? I have Vista Ultimate, I installed the 32 bit so my audio capability was not limited. Can anyone expound on the future of the 64 bit install? Everyone jump in on this!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

If you have 4gigs of memory,you will be able to use the entire 4 gigs. As time goes on, more software will be written for 64 bit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

hi,,, as mark says 64 uses the full 4gb of ram if installed,,, but is more ram hungry than 32,,, which is a bit of a catch 22,,, one way round it i suppose is stick 8gb in the 64bit version,,, which obviously you cant do with 32bit,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:50 AM

[quote name='figgis41' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:35 PM' post='1022580']
hi,,, as mark says 64 uses the full 4gb of ram if installed,,, but is more ram hungry than 32,,, which is a bit of a catch 22,,, one way round it i suppose is stick 8gb in the 64bit version,,, which obviously you cant do with 32bit,,,
good luck. Hey figgis & Mark, you two are the biggest responders here, Thanks. I will wait to use the 64 bit disk that came with my Vista Ultimate. I have 2 gigs of Corsair ram and my Vista is very fast and smooth. I also run Linux Unbutu Ibex in a 30 gig partition thru wubi installer. * gigs of Ram seems like overkill?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

hi,,, i know what you mean about a waste of ram,,, 1 of my machines has a core 2 duo with 2gb of ddr2 800Mhz and i also have a Quad 6600 with 3 gb of ddr2 800Mhz all matched pairs, and i swear the 2gb is quicker,,, or im going daft maybe,,, :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

Having a lot of memory and using a lot of memory are 2 different things. Up to a certain point, you'll get a speed increase if the RAM is the restrictive point in your resources. (more RAM = more speed). Then, once you reach the point where RAM is no longer limiting you, then you won't notice a difference.

For example, I've got 8 gB of RAM on my 64 bit system. I started with 4 gB on a 32 bit system. Upgrading to 64 bit (still with 4 gB) caused no speed increase (the theory here is that the extra RAM being recognized is offset by the extra needs of the 64 bit system). So, I upgraded to 8 gB of RAM - still no speed increase.

What I did notice tho', was a drastic increase in the ability to clutter my desktop and taskbar with extra stuff. I can play most games (with no lag) while I have IE7 w/6 tabs, Firefox w/22 tabs, 3 VM's running, Thunderbird, and other miscellaneous apps open. (More RAM = more stuff open without a decrease in performance).

YMMV :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

Even if you install 64-bit Vista, and you should if you have over 4GB of RAM, you will not get much of a benefit unless the application running can take advantage of the higher memory and/or 64-bit instruction sets. The OS and many recent popular programs, such as Crysis, The Witcher, and multimedia editing suites just to name a few, can utilize 64-bit. Older 32-bit apps will still run fine in the WOW64 environment, however 32-bit programs operating deep in the operating system might not function correctly. Such programs are few, like applications dealing with security or custom-made programs. In Vista, there is no major speed increase from 3 to 4 GB, however, users switching to 64-bit from 32 have said they believe 64-bit is a little faster during some tasks then 32-bit.

Items in memory in a 64-bit environment will take up slightly more space, but this is largely a minor issue if you have 4 GB or more of RAM. If you have 4 GB in a 32-bit environment, a portion of that will go towards other uses leaving 3.5GB or so for Windows to use. If you install 64-bit on that system, you have all 4 GB to use, making up for the inflated memory requirements of 64-bit.

3939.png

#8 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

you know if you install ubuntu-server (32 bit) you can see all of your ram??

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 30 November 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

That question would be better asked in the Linux forum. There are some Linux kernels that have PAE that could help.

Ubuntu Forums - 8 GB Ram 64 bit or 32 bit Ubuntu server?
Ubuntu Forums - Get Ubuntu to address more than 4GB of RAM

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users