Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 .pst permission problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Argee

Argee

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've searched without success and my hair is diminishing from being pulled out.

I had a computer failure (don't ask!) which meant a complete re-install of everything (including the Windows Vista Ultimate OS). I have the .pst file with all my contacts, etc. saved, but when I try to import it into Outlook I get "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." Previous attempts resulted in a "You do not have permission to access the file" errors. Another weird behaviour is that, when browsing to the .pst file within Outlook, there are no icons against the drives in the drop-down box. I've re-installed everything more than once, so nearing EOT.

I've tried changing permissions until I'm blue in the face, but they don't seem to "stick." In the file Properties box, the "Full Control" option is greyed in "Authenticated Users," "System" and "Administrators" and I don't seem able to get round this, no matter what I try. The .pst file itself seems to be OK. Where am I going wrong, please?

TIA! :thumbsup:

Ray.

Edited by Argee, 28 November 2008 - 06:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

Have you tried to take ownership of the .pst file? In the Window for changing permissions there's an Advanced button towards the bottom - click on that. Then click on the Owner tab, then click on the Edit button, then double click on your account name in the "Change owner to" box. Then click OK to exit the dialogs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Argee

Argee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

Yes, I've got ownership of the file. I've also created a full control option for "Everyone" to see if that helped - it didn't. I think it's Outlook, rather than the file, because it's not showing icons in the Browsing Dialog Box - weird. I'm goping to try transferring the file to my laptop and see what happens.

Ray.

#4 Argee

Argee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

I took the file on a USB stick and copied it to my laptop (running Outlook 2007 on XP). I copied it to the drive, then imported it intop Outlook without any difficulty at all. The file is OK. I then exported it to the laptop drive as a differently-named .pst file, copied this onto my USB stick and returned to my desktop machine. It will NOT copy to the desktop. I get "Error 0x80070522: A required privilige is not held by the client." I'll try turning off UAC.

Ray

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:42 AM

I'd try uninstalling Office 2007, then reinstalling it (using Administrator privileges).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Argee

Argee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

I'd try uninstalling Office 2007, then reinstalling it (using Administrator privileges).

Tried that (again) to no avail. In the end, I copied the data over from my XP laptop as a text file, then cut and pasted it into a new set of Contacts - not recommended!

Now, although I've got a full set of contacts again, Outlook simply refuses to start with the Contacts window open. Going to "Advanced, Other" options and clicking on "Browse" brings up the correct alternatives, but setting it to "Contacts" simply won't stick. It appears in the window, but an "OK" followed by another look and it's reverted to "Inbox." Any ideas?

Ray.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

This is way beyond my experience with Outlook. I'm going to move this over to another forum where you'll be able to get more expert assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users