Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatability check and other Qs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PlagueRages

PlagueRages

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:51 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to check for compatability on my selection for components. I also wanted to grab a lot of opinions because this is going to be my first time building a comp. I have researched a lot and I feel like Im ready. I'm looking to spend about 2,100 dollars and I am going to build a gaming computer. I play all of the high end 3D games, and I want all of your opinions on any of my components. I also didnt know what case AND power supply would go best with this build, so lemme know. I also wanted to your opinions on what after market CPU cooler would go best with my selection, and whether or not if I should stick with my Quad Core CPU or just get a Dual Core?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115017

Motherboard: nForce 790i SLI FTW http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?...rboard%20Family
(Hope this mobo is compatable. It says it supports quad cores) I also REALLY WANT A HIGH END motherboard so gimme your opinions on that too. I want to be able to upgrade my memory, hard drive, GPU, and NIC in the future without throwing this out.

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145198 (This only had 22 reviews. Please check this out, and if this memory isnt good then ill have to switch to a mobo that supports DDR2 memory.)

Hard Drive: Western Digital My Passport Essential WDME3200TN 320GB USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0WDME3200TN%203
(Im skeptical about this too. It was less expensive than a couple of the other ones I was looking at and Im not sure if its fast or not)

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130370 (Im pretty sure I have this down, but what in terms of speed is most important to look at for a video card? Core clock, Memory Clock, or Memory Size?)

Sound Card: I was just thinking about going with the integrated one on the motherboard, or does my mobo have one? Lol im a first timer please let me know. If you have a good suggestion for this that would be great.

Network Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...s%20PCI-Express EXPI9402PTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Two Gigabit Copper Server Connections 2 x RJ45 - OEM (This one didnt have a lot of reviews but it seems its faster than a lot of other cards I was looking at on newegg. I do play a lot of online games.)

Dvd Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827135176 (Dont really care too much about this of course. Just as long as it's efficient and runs my games properly.)

Operating system: 64-bit Windows Vista. I'm going to be using more than 3.5 gigs of memory so this is a must of course :thumbsup:. I also used to hear a lot of bad things about Vista but everything ive read so far about the 64 bit edition is good :huh:.

I believe that I have a monitor and keyboard that are already compatable with the motherboard. They all came from my old dell XPS 600 series comp, so maybe they arnt compatable with my motherboard. I dont think I should worry about these components right now but any opinions on this would be highly appreciated. I greatly appreciate any and all advice coming from everyone and I hope I have provided sufficient information. I SERIOUSLY appreciate any help and im highly excited to get started on building it when christmas comes around. Please also dont forget that I really need suggestions on my case, my heatsink, and my powersupply. Thank you all in advance :huh:.

Edited by PlagueRages, 28 November 2008 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:39 AM

For now, quad core is overkill but if you plan on having the PC for several years, it will futureproof your investment. You might also want to get a dual or quad core from the 9xxx series of Intel processors. These are newer, cooler, and more efficient processors. The Q6600 should be replaced by the Q9300. Alternatively, if you want to really go high end, go for the new i7 920. You will need a new motherboard if you go for the i7 though. The motherboard you chose will support all socket 775 processors, so you're good to go there. As for the memory, Corsair and Kingston make good memory and you should get as much as you can since you're going 64-bit. Your video card is, in many cases, not the fastest one around. That honor goes to the 4870 X2. However, you will not be able to Crossfire that card since the motherboard you selected only allows for SLI. Note that all motherboards compatible with the i7 processors allow for both Crossfire and SLI. Your motherboard also has on-board sound, purchasing a new sound card is unnecessary unless you listen to a great deal of music or create it. A network card is also totally unnecessary as it is included with your motherboard. The only reason to get one is if you have a very fast fiber-optic internet connection or do LAN parties and believe that gaining a couple frames per second will make a difference. Don't worry about the DVD drive and Vista. Most of the negative aspects of the OS are gone with the release of SP1. I have suggestions for cases, PSU's, and aftermarket coolers below.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W or the CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W. Both are very good power supplies, highly rated by customers and reviewers. The 750 watt will do if you don't plan to overclock and have a single GPU. The 1000 watt will be a good choice if you want to do some overclocking or combining of GPU's.

Case: HEC 69R5BB Black Steel ATX Full Tower - If you want a simple case get this one, I always suggest a full tower because of the depth and the (with most models) thermal tolerance. Remember, a full tower is large and heavy.
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS - If you're looking for something a bit more upscale...

Heat sink and fan (aftermarket cooler): ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - I have one of these, it's quiet and keeps things cool. This is designed for socket 775.

Edited by DJBPace07, 28 November 2008 - 03:41 AM.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:00 AM

Puzzled by the hard drive choice, you need an internal drive to use as a system drive. An external drive is used as backup/storage.

No need to spend money on a network card, that board has two already built in.

Spend the extra $5 and get a dvd burner.

As far as processors, the 45nm duals and quads are faster, more expensive, but faster, in games. The post above is correct, the new I7 chip combined with an X58 chipset is the way to go for the future.

Not a fan of NVidia based mobos unless SLI is required. For ATI and single videocards, Intel chipsets are just more stable.

Edited by dpunisher, 28 November 2008 - 06:03 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

If you're going for an i7 system, I have listed hardware below.

Case: HEC 69R5BB Black Steel ATX Full Tower - See my note above for this.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - This is one of the new X58 motherboards, it gets good ratings.

Graphics card: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB - Top-of-the-line GPU.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - See my note above. If you plan on getting a multi-GPU system, get the 1000W PSU.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz - There are faster i7 processors available, but they cost so much more. This is the i7 equivalent to the Q6600 and Q9300.

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - You will want two of these to get the maximum benefit. The X58 uses triple channel memory, so the RAM sizes are a little unusual.

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL 500GB - Plenty of space.

Optical Drive: LITE-ON combo drive - A simple disc reader and writer.

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - You need a 64-bit OS to use all that RAM.

There is no decent aftermarket CPU fan, but the one that comes with the CPU is good for non-overclocked use.

Price: $1,914

3939.png

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

Remember, a full tower is large and heavy.

Lian Li aluminum cases, I absolutely love them. Simple, lightweight and rock solid
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....mp;name=Lian-Li
Other power supplies to consider - Sparkle has a couple
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....e%20Power%20Inc.
and Seasonic (5 year warranty, no questions asked)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....iption=Seasonic

Edited by garmanma, 28 November 2008 - 06:31 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

I have a Lian-Li case, they're very nice. The models for sale at the link provided are all mid-tower cases, many of the larger graphics cards have issues fitting into mid-towers. Sparkle is okay but Corsair and Silverstone get good reviews consistently. Warranties are important to consider, Corsair and Sea Sonic have five years and Silverstone has three. Remember, the PSU is the beating heart of the PC...quality and reliability is everything.

3939.png

#7 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys! Thank you very much DJB for the input. That is a perfect build. I am pretty content right now with changing my motherboard and CPU to your recommendation. It looks pretty solid. Im going to look a little more at it and see if there is anything i wanna change but right now it looks very compelling....

#8 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

Ok, here is my new edit (even though its basically a repost of what DJB recommended)

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811112140

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics card: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL 500GB

Optical Drive: LITE-ON combo drive

I LIKE IT. muh hahahahaha. I decided not to go with 2 GPUs or overclocking because I figured I just save that for the future. The way everything looks right now it seems that it will run my games excellently. As for there being better I7 processors out there, I figured that ill just use that one until the other ones become a bit cheaper. Plus im sure DJB knows what he's talking about. Itll do better than just fine until im ready to get a new one. As for the case I figured that I wanted to go with a cheaper full tower Lian Li. (Thanks a lot garm! :thumbsup: ) Ill also remember that ill need a better powersupply for all my future upgrading. The motherboard looks great for future value also. Thank you all and by all means post if you have more opinions.

Edited by PlagueRages, 29 November 2008 - 12:54 AM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:38 AM

Nice case you're getting albeit a little plain, but that's not a problem. I never really liked windows on the case or LED's. If you're looking for a nice case, the COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP is a good one that looks better than the Lian Li case. Remember, the memory is installed in three's on that motherboard since it is triple channel. Are you going to get two of those memory kits for 12GB of RAM? 12GB is overkill for now but it is great for futureproofing.

3939.png

#10 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:35 PM

Well, that doesnt mean I have to get two of those kits does it? I thought 64 bit operating systems only went up to 8 gigs?

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

No, 64-bit Vista can use over 128GB although PC's used in a home can accommodate far less than that. The motherboard you want can handle up to 24GB of RAM. Since the motherboard uses triple channel memory, the number of RAM slots must be some multiple of three. In this case, there are six RAM slots available. The RAM kit you're going to use has three sticks of RAM in it. In order to fill all six slots, you would six sticks which is two kits. This would bring the total amount of RAM you will have in the PC to 12GB. You do not have to get two kits, you only need one. Two is nice though. The price I gave you for the system earlier has two kits in it.

Edited by DJBPace07, 29 November 2008 - 04:30 PM.

3939.png

#12 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

Ok DJB, I got basically everything you recommended. The total price came out to 2,074.00 which is exactly what I wanted it in. Here is my final post of components that ive already ordered:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics card: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL 500GB

Optical Drive: LITE-ON combo drive

I fully trust you on this for compatability DJB :thumbsup:. And im going to blame it on you if something isnt compatable. LOL JK. Thanks for all the help. I went with the latest case you recommended.

Edited by PlagueRages, 29 November 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

The memory slots are color coded on the motherboard. If you get one kit, three sticks, make sure you install them correctly. If you get two kits, you won't have to worry about which slots they are installed in. I really like that case you're getting, it has a certain elegance about it. Everything should turn out fine, let us know if you have any more questions.

3939.png

#14 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Btw DJB I just went with the one kit with 3 sticks of memory. I read up on the mobo and im pretty sure you use the white slots. I figured id just get another kit later. The more and more I look at what youve selected for me the better I feel. The mobo has a button that you can press for a backup BIOS so I can change everything if I overclocked my CPU to the wrong settings. All the reviews say that both the CPU and mobo are both very overclockable. A lot of customers also say that the CPU is already a beast. For the video card ive practically been drooling over it. It is the fastest on the market, you were right. You must have been doing this stuff for a long time. Im looking at going to a private college in the next year to get a CIS degree, this stuff is fun. Anyways, enough of my life story. Thanks a lot for all your help and its refreshing to know that someone on here knows what he's talking about. Lata.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

I'm a little jealous....I want an i7. Going with three sticks is a good idea if you're saving money, 6GB is still a great deal of RAM. If you're drooling over the GPU now, just imagine what it would be like if you Crossfire two of those. Going to a private college? I graduated from one (Pace University) last year and now I'm back for my masters, both in computer sciences. Good luck!

Edited by DJBPace07, 02 December 2008 - 12:23 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users