Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

where are is java executable file located in vista?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 supertramp

supertramp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:18 AM

I'm trying to run a program called Pagesucker, which downloads whole sites for offline viewing and re-indexes them. The program was developed for XP and requires that a Java engine be installed (I assume Vista comes standard with a Java engine, but don't know where to find it).

I just installed Vista Home Premium.

The message I get when I try to run Pagesucker is:

"No Java engine has been detected on your computer. You must install either JRE or JDK in order to be able to use Pagesucker.

If you are sure that you installed a java engine you can try to find the executable manually. Do you want to do so?"

So my question is: is there an executable I can point the program to that comes standard with windows, or do I need to install a 3rd party Java engine?

If you know of better options for "page sucking" I'd be grateful too. I've used Scrapbook (a Firefox plugin), which is great but has a max of 10,000 pages. I'm trying to download a site with more than that (a forum site, incidentally).

Thanks kindly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

hi,,, if you have it installed then just type java in the start menu search box and click on it when it comes up or hit enter,,, if you want to find the program its self then click on,,, start>computer>C: drive>program files>JAVA. and look in there,,, if its not there then go to sun tech site and download it,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

You can check in the Vista equivalent of Control Panel/Add Remove (i.e. Programs)

The latest version is Java 6 Update 10. You can get it here, and remove any older version as they are standalone applications.
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users