Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown and Hidden Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twistofcain1976

twistofcain1976

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:19 PM

I've done a defrag on my hard drive and after it reports files unable to defrag.
it lists about a dozen files i didn't know about in my windows/system32/microsoft folder
*.tar files and such, ... i know they are apparently video files from tv shows.
... not ones that i've ever downloaded or even heard of. ... about 3 GB though

i don't seem to be having any trouble with my computer, not slow or anything.
my hidden files are showing but still don't find any files in this folder ?

is this just remnants from past virus or attacks ?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:27 PM

could also be that you have system restore enabled!

How bout you try this program! Diskeeper Lte This will take care of those pesky undefraggable files!

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:29 PM

What OS are you running twistofcain1976?

I just looked in my C:\System Volume Information\_restore and C:\WINDOWS\system32\Microsoft folders in XP and I don't see any .tar files--or any files with extensions, for what that's worth. You could be right about it being leftovers--if someone else ever had control of your system they could have stashed files in that location. Have you had to clean up from an attack?

I wouldn't worry about System Restore. I run Diskkeeper Lite also, but there are usually always files from SysRestore that won't defrag but it's not been a problem.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#4 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:49 AM

.tar files are files that have been combined to form one large file.

Have you verified they aren't viral with one or more anti-virus scans? There are free online scans available here:
http://www.closedsocket.com/links.html

If you are worried about them, disabling system restore (even disabling it, rebooting, then reenabling it) will clean up the files in the restore directory.

Due to the fact that the tar extension is mostly unix based (which means that Windows didn't create them), you should be safe in deleting them, but more info on the attack question would better help us to give a definite answer.

#5 twistofcain1976

twistofcain1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

I'm running XP Pro , it's on my home computer
i'll try a few of the suggestions with the system restore when i get home
and run the diskkeeper lite.... and update later tonight.

i've been keeping pretty uptodate with AVG & spybot, never having much troubles from attacks before. as i say, my computer runs great right now, not concerned about a current attack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users