Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access my slave drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Burn It Up

Burn It Up

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

Greetings Everyone (I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, so I hope this is the correct place),

Earlier today after restarting my computer, I found that I was unable to access my E: drive (my slave drive). When trying to open it, it said that the file or directory was corrupt or unreadable. After searching the internet for a fix, I ran chkdsk E: /r to try to fix the problem. After that was finished, I restarted my computer only to find I am still unable to access the drive, except this time with a different error message.

When trying to access the drive, it now reads:

E:\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive E:\.

I turned off my computer, unplugged my slave drive and booted with just my master (C:). I also went into the BIOS and disabled the floppy disk drive. I turned it off once again, plugged my slave drive back in, and booted up. I still get the same error message when I try to access it.

...and now I come begging all of you for help.

Lets see...

I am running Windows XP Professional Service pack 2
Pentium 4 CPU 1.80GHz
768MB of RAM

My slave drive is a Seagate model number ST3250620A. It is an IDE drive.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong or how to fix it? I'd be eternally grateful to anyone that can help...

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Sounds like a corrupted partition/partition table...no one seems to know exactly.

I would try using the fixboot and/or fixmbr commands from the Recovery Console...before deciding to do anything more serious.

"More serious" includes deletion/reformat/reinstall and the use of data recovery tools.

Louis

#3 Burn It Up

Burn It Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

This hard drive doesnt have windows installed on it, so I wouldnt be able to use the recovery console for this drive, right? Or am I wrong?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

The Recovery Console exists on the XP CD.

If you don't have an XP CD and the Recovery Console is not installed on your system....you can download the RC and put it into bootable CD format.

The commands which I suggested...only require the C:/boot drive to be connected.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm Scroll down to How To Create Bootable CD...

http://www.windowsboards.com/index.php?top...;prev_next=prev

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#5 Burn It Up

Burn It Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

Alrighty,

So I made a recovery CD and attempted to use fixboot and fixmbr, but when I tried, it said fixboot cannot find the system drive or the drive is not valid. I put fixboot E:, am I doing something wrong?

Im beginning to feel like an idiot.

Any ideas?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Did you follow the directions for using either?

Answer is...no :thumbsup:...but I'll take the blame for not being explicit.

Forget the E: drive...it's not important.

The access/pathway to that drive (when it is connected) exists on C:, where all the important system files are.

Your XP install is on C:, the commands apply to the XP install.

Louis

#7 Burn It Up

Burn It Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

Alright,

I did what you said. Correctly this time, I promise. But Im still getting that diskette error message.

Im feeling hopeless :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

OK...time to go to Stage Two :thumbsup:.

That wasn't something I thought would be effective, but it's worth trying.

You refer to this drive as a slave. Is it connected to the motherboard or is it an external USB-connected drive?

Since the problem drive is nothing but a storage container, it's pretty much all or nothing.

Take a look in Device Manager...Start/Run, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Click Disk Drives so that you can see the detail. Right-click/Properties on the troublesome drive, then click on the Volumes tab. Click the Populate button and tell us what appears when you do that.

Then go to Disk Management...Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Tell us what data appears for that drive in the lower portion of the screen.

Louis

#9 Burn It Up

Burn It Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

The drive is connected to the motherboard.

Before I hit populate, there was nothing listed in the info. Now, this appears:

Disk Disk 1
Type Basic
Status Online
Partition Style Master Boot Record (MBR)
Capacity 238473MB
Unallocated 0MB
Reserved 0MB

Also, now when I try to access the drive, instead of the diskette error message, I get:

E: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

That's progress, I guess.

In disk management, it says:

Disk 1
Basic
232.88GB

(E:)
232.88GB
Healthy (Active)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hmmm...nothing filled that Volume window in Device Manager?

I was kind of confused as to why your second hard drive would be Active...but that's not a biggie. If it was ever used to install Windows, it would become Active and then it would stay that way until it was wiped/reformatted.

Windows sees the drive properly...I guess it's time to say "Use recovery software" to move your data files, then delete that partition...and reformat in NTFS.

There are several posts similar to this one for all parts of your error messages: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7590_102-0.htm...ssageID=1429873

IMO, the drive itself is good, but the file system (NTFS) is corrupt and needs to be redone.

Sorry.

Louis

#11 Burn It Up

Burn It Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:16 AM

Thanks for the help, hamluis. I used a recovery program and was successfully able to copy all of the content onto another drive. I'll wipe the drive and hope this doesnt happen again.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users