Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system recovery for win ME won't work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sadmommy

sadmommy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi- Am trying to do a system recovery for Windows ME. Have all the disks, and have put them in. Looks like it is working except for some reason, there is a blue window (like a menu) on the left side of the screen that will not allow me to select the options. Unfortunaltey, the program will not advance without selecting the I agree to the terms option, and the "blue window" will not allow me to select it. Have reinstalled and reformatted the hard drive 3 times and this is happening each time. Called the tech support and they tell me that what I am doing should be working- but of course it is not. Please help, have been up almost 24 hours now trying to make this work. Anyone with suggestions?

Thanks-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:21 PM

Have all the disks

If your installing Windows ME you only need (at first) the WinME CDROM. After that is installed you need drivers for your motherboard, video card, modem etc etc.

Here is a site which shows you step by step how to install WindowsME operating systems:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/wi...allme/index.htm

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 sadmommy

sadmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:14 PM

sorry- I have all three recovery disks. I can't find the Win ME disk or I would have tried it first. I did the recovery and it said installation was complete, however it has this blue "menu" on the left side that is about 4 inches into the screen and is covering or blocking the information that you need to click on, like the ok for the license agreement. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:53 AM

Tell us what kind of system you have and what is written in this "blue menu".

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 sadmommy

sadmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:05 AM

Hi- The blue menu has the following listed-
welcome
hardware
license agreement
registration
finish

It seems related to the HP tour guide "victor"as when you click on him, you get the option to close menu, but clicking on this only makes the menu "flicker" it does not close it. You are unable to see underneath the menu and you cannot move it or close it. And you cannot select the options that you must select to continue the setup.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:55 AM

That's a strange problem. What model of HP computer do you have and do the disks you are using belong to that system?

Is there a more basic installation you can use that does not involve the 'tour guide'? When you boot from the CDs are there any options? I'm not familiar with current HP installation so I don't think I'm going to be much help.

#7 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:15 AM

Be persistent,if you really want to get it to work,take a break and come back later always helps me,I have done the same thing unfortunately it was with a dell,not HP,anyway you know you have the install and formatting down,so do something different,make sure you enter the security codes that came with the Windows software, but I bet you did that already, let this post know when you get it running , Good Luck!
In a World without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?

#8 sadmommy

sadmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:18 AM

ok- you will not believe this totally unscientific way that I did this-
If you click on the tour guide "victor" you can move him around and by moving him through the Blue menu , I could see that the "shortcut key" to accept the agreement was the c with a line under it (or alt+C) so I did that and it accepted it and went all the way through the registration process and installation. I think this is a software problem- it was written incorrectly- you cannot bypass the options and you cannot "see through" the blue menu. go figure how the frustration level led me to find this "solution".

However- new problem, I got so upset I just thought I would try to reinstall it- like 5 times. Now when I do scan disk it restarts that many times and my cdrom is letter m. so any suggestions? also- it now says I have no room on the hard drive. I thought (like so many that I have read about) that re-format meant write over this file- but as I see it did not. So- other than having someone "wipe the disk" which I cannot do- any other suggestions? Still sad.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:20 AM

Congratulations on finding your way past that little obstacle! :thumbsup:

If you want to do reinstall one more time...
Make sure you have a working boot floppy with CDROM support - actually boot from it and select the "Boot with CDROM support" option. Put any data CD in the drive. At this point I think your CD is E: but if you have multiple partitions on the hard drive it may be a later letter.
Assuming it is E:, at the A:\> prompt type "DIR E:" without quotes. You should see a list of files and folders on your CD.
Make sure you can read a file or see a folder on the CD before going further.

Take the data CD out of the drive and at the A:\> prompt type FDISK this will open a disk partitioning utility which will enable you to 'wipe' your hard drive completely. There is no mouse control in this utility.
Assuming you only have one hard-drive select the option which says something like "Display existing partition information" and see how many partitions you have on that drive.
Then - provided there is no information you need to save from the drive - select a partition and choose the "Delete Partition" option. Answer yes to 'are you sure' ,etc.
Do the same for all the other partitions - you may have to reboot between each step.
When the drive is empty reboot with the restore CD in the drive and begin the installation process - it should tell you there are no active partitions found and offer to make one - say yes and let it use the whole hard drive. Select FAT32 if you have the choice of file-system.

Then you should have a clean installation of WinME.

Edited by Rimmer, 25 May 2005 - 04:21 AM.

#10 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:01 AM

YES, just what I was wondering..."How many partitions on this" most times your CD drive is not "M" unless you have a bunch of other stuff/partitions,digital camera connections etc,...

Follow Rimmers advice, exactly what I would do and I quote Rimmer

"When the drive is empty reboot with the restore CD in the drive and begin the installation process - it should tell you there are no active partitions found and offer to make one - say yes and let it use the whole hard drive. Select FAT32 if you have the choice of file-system."

You should have only 1 partition ONLY unless your advanced or really need another one, anyway persistaence, seems like you got the "INSTALL" part down,.. ....ha ha,...

UNLESS you do a "CLEAN" install you won't make a bit of difference, follow Rimmers instructions....
Good Luck!
Let me know how goes it?

#11 Watney99

Watney99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

ok- you will not believe this totally unscientific way that I did this-
If you click on the tour guide "victor" you can move him around and by moving him through the Blue menu , I could see that the "shortcut key" to accept the agreement was the c with a line under it (or alt+C) so I did that and it accepted it and went all the way through the registration process and installation.

Yeah, I got by that "little obstacle" in almost the same way, after a few hours of cursing and silly mouse clicking . . . i noticed if I held shift-tab down that blue menu screen would blink, and as my eyes adjusted to the blinking, i could just about read the message and that was how I spotted the underscored c in the acceptance . . . luckily for me I haven't encountered too many additional problems yet, but i did spend most of the night running windows update :-)

still wondering why the a, as in accept was not underlined, but that's a whole nother thread . . .

anyway, in case you're wondering, i encountered this issue Monday night, did some searching for it on Tuesday and found sadmommy had encountered the same . . . since the thread had sort of stopped some time back, i speculated she either had solved it or given up, so i sent her a message . . . fortunately for me (and probably my monitor too:-), i stumbled upon the little solution last night and as I said, am now on my way to recovery . . .

good luck to you, sad mommy, hope the additional advice you have received solves you latest challenge . . . personally, i'm thinking my next PC is going to be a mac . . .

Regards,
Watney

#12 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:22 PM

sound LIKE YOU SIMPLY NEED TO PUT A CHECK TO accept THE TERMS OF Microsoft ON THE Install blue screen menu IS ALL,...:thumbsup:

GOT TO READ EVERY LITTLE ITEM AND ACCEPT "THEIR TERMS OR YOU WONT BE ABLE TO PROCEED,. Mac ARE GOOD FOR graphics, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO FUNCTIONALITY ON Netscape BROWSERS AND java PERMISSIONS, IT CAN BE A REAL PAIN TRYING TO CHECK THIS AND LOOK AT THAT, BUT THE LATEST friken cap locks,

latest MAC G5 with safari 10 something, is pretty good but even the one i used from my sister(computer graphic artist ---ad maker for news etc,.. local community)
still had rough blending of different software and stuffer, but I look forward to a 64 bit processor one day,...:flowers:

in hurry sorry
byebye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users